Jehovah Witnesses

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2004, 01:33 PM
zonapellucida
PLEASE TELL me what you know. . . . it is my understanding that they do not believe in the trinity and do not celebrate holidays. There has been one woman who thinks she can convert me and she is persistant. Now being a Pagan at one point and now Pentacostal I have great tolerance for other's religion but when she ever said to me she doesn't want to be taken in the rapture because she doesn't want ot die my jaw dropped and I asked her if she was nuts--why would anyone want to stay around for the seven years of misery the earth is going to go through?????? Is this REALLY their belief? And every time I here Jehovoah in place of Lord I cringe..... I am trying to do research now.... also made the mistake of taking the subject up with my Morman Grandmother who then proceded to inform me how great Mormanism is. WTH
November 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
I Heart 4x4
I don't know a lot of JW. My ex used to be a JW - not that he followed it too closely. From my understanding no premarital sex, no drugs/tobacco/alcohol, no swearing, no celebrations of anything (including birthdays) .... the one other thing I know is they're the pushiest of all the religions I've been around. Other than that, I don't know anything. Sorry!
November 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Caffeine IS included as a drug too. They do not drink caffiene (as a girl told me)
I personally don't like them coming to my door LMAO it just gets old
November 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
dylansmom
I'm not too sure about what all they believe in either, but I had a couple of women come here about a week ago.

I was very polite to them and just explained that I am a Christian, and that I read my bible, pray, etc.. She asked if she could leave a guide with me, so I took it, but I think I accidentally threw it away while cleaning the other day.

It can be so hard to know what to say, and what not to say in those circumstances. I just try really hard to be polite, and to remember how Christ would treat them if it was Him standing in my shoes. That gives me a quick jolt to my brain to be nice and not say anything I'll later regret.

Religion can be such a touchy issue, can't it!?!?

~Kelly
November 3rd, 2004, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
when my sis and i were little and the JW would come around the corner to our street my mom would turn off all the lights and close the blinds. same thing with the mormon missionaries. she would even get really mad if my sis or i were watching the tv guide channel and on the top half of the screen a commercial about the Book of Mormon would come on. we wouldnt even be watching it. we would be looking at the channels that had good shows. imagine her discomfort when i married a mormon and became a mormon myself. i had a friend in HS that was JW and her parents were so strict. they wernt allowed to date until they were 18. no prom or even hanging out with people of the opposite sex. all i know about it is she rebelled really badly. her sis to.

November 5th, 2004, 08:15 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Originally posted by zonapellucida@Nov 2 2004, 03:33 PM
PLEASE* TELL me what you know. . . . it is my understanding that they do not believe in the trinity and do not celebrate holidays.* There has been one woman who thinks she can convert me and she is persistant.* Now being a Pagan at one point and now Pentacostal I have great tolerance for other's religion but when she ever said to me she doesn't want to be taken in the rapture because she doesn't want ot die my jaw dropped and I asked her if she was nuts--why would anyone want to stay around for the seven years of misery the earth is going to go through??????* Is this REALLY their belief?* And every time I here Jehovoah in place of Lord I cringe.....* I am trying to do research now.... also made the mistake of taking the subject up with my Morman Grandmother who then proceded to inform me how great Mormanism is.* WTH
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
In all truth, I don't actually know a whole lot of facts about JW. What I do know, however, is that it is one of the religions that looks like it's the truth on the outside, but as you probe deeper, there are things that are not true. Kind of like Mormonism.
(To those who might read this who are JW or Mormons, please try not to be offended at my statements. I am a Christian and I believe that Christianity is the truth.)
There's a series of books called the "Facts On..." series that explain the ins-and-outs of different religions as they contrast/compare to Christianity. They are small and realitively inexpensive ($5 or so) and each looks at a different religion. I got one on Mormonism at a local Christian bookstore because my husband listens to Glen Beck (who is Mormon) and I was curious to know the differences.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
twinsmom26
I dont know to much about them, but I do know that they use to drive me crazy. These people were at my door atleast once a week and now all of a sudden they wont come to my house anymore. Thank God!!! LOL!
November 6th, 2004, 09:35 PM
ranidae
Thankfully I have never had any come to my door, but I do know that the women are supposed to wear only skirts, trousers are not allowed. Plus the one woman I knew who used to be married to a J.W. said that she had to walk 5 steps behind her ex. at all times and if the boys were with them she had to walk 5steps behind the boys who followed the husband. Her kids had never celebrated any holidays, were homeschooled and not allowed to play with any children that her DH considered unworthy. I belive he took it to extremes though, but her children were majorly screwed up when I met them.

I have never had any problems with any of the Mormons I grew up around. I know my Grandparents on my Moms side used to be Mormon but left the church when they refused to bless her little boy who died at 5hrs (he had a hole in his heart.) From what I understand of the faith though they belive all children are born innocent, and do not need blessing until they understand the diffrence between good and bad. My best friend is Mormon, I have allowed Krystle to attend church with them several times. Also many of the lady friends I made in NC were Mormon.
November 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Pauba
I don't know much about them eiter. One of my stepsisters is one andI know she nearly let he little boy die rather than take him to the hospital. Her hubby (they are now divorced prob due to her beliefs) actually told her JW was not his belief and took that baby to the hospital. Turns out he was severly anemic. He would have died. As I understand it they do not beieve in doctors or hospitals. Also they really are pushy. My dad's place has a 6ft privacy fence w/ a gate and one day they just let them selves in even though the gate was closed. The nerve! And they are hard to get away from your door you practically have to be rude. I haven't seen any in years though. But I have a question as well. Has anyone ever noticed that their Kingdom Halls have no windows? Why is this does ne1 know?
November 24th, 2004, 09:05 AM
zonapellucida
I should update this--NO IDEA why there are no windows. I now know they do not tithe and everythign they teach is out of their publication the Watchtower. The lady dropped of a book called Reasoning and the Sriptures and God screamed at me to GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE. I had this horrible feeling of unease an dthrew the book away.l I then called this woman and told her I had prayed on it, sighted her misuse of scripture, and asked her not to call on me----well 5 days later she showed up with her husband and son asking to come in!!!!! I politely closed the door.
November 27th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I went to school with a girl who was JW. They couldn't sing Christmas songs. They tried telling me Christmas is not when the calendar says it is. Well I sort of understood that one. Well actually I don't think anyone knows exactly when Christ was born. But December 24th Christmas Eve is when we celebrate his birth. This girl couldn't hang out with us like friends. We'd talk in school. But that was it. Of course some years after we graduated high school. This girl got arrested and sent to jail for trying to kill a guy. The whole story even hit the Tabloids. I think the one Weekly World News. Her roommate invites a guy home. She is standing in the shower behind the curtain. Had a hatchet. Was going to do that RedRum thing like from Psycho. She I think gave the guy a bump or cut on his head. But never actually killed him. Yet she swore to be a devout Jehova's Witness. Not sure if she's still in jail for the attempted murder or not. The J.W's come to my door quite often. Not so much the last few months. But they came regular for a while. Inspite of me saying I am Catholic. I am happy with my faith. Leave me alone. They'd still keep coming. They even had the nerve to stop me in the park when our son was real little. Do I teach our son about Jesus Christ. Mormons are another issue. I read they believe Jesus Christ decended from some other planet. I think it was on a website. exmormon.org It had all sorts of info on what Mormons believe in. Why all these people left the church. There must be a similar web site for Jehova's.
November 27th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Veteran
religion can be such a touchy subject - I admire everyone here for the civil tones they have put in!

The last time I had JW's talking to me I politely explained that I am happy with my faith...they didn't listen, kept trying to get pushy.

I finally smiled and said, "I'm being respectful to you and your beliefs. Can't you do the same for me?"

They politely and quietly left after that.

I remember a girl around the corner from me while growing up being JW and what I remember of her is that they didn't celebrate birthdays or holidays and I thought it a lonely existence for a child. However, I was raised to respect other people's beliefs, so I never really focused on it.

I get irritated with any group who tries to push their beliefs on others, be they Mormon, JW, baptist, whatever.

In my experience, it is only the Mormons and the JW's who go on the pilgrimages to try and recruit other members.

I take a different stance than the original poster. I'm actually not interested in hearing a lot of what they believe because I don't see a purpose necessarily. However, if I were going to get into a debate with them, THEN I would feel the need to know more facts so I knew what I was talking about.

For me, I'd rather not even spend the time conversing with them.

I imagine that there would be plenty of information on the web about their core beliefs, but like any religion, I imagine that there are degrees of compliance within such a religion.

For example, some Jews are Orthodox, others do not observe all the traditions.

Mormons in Arizona that my step-father does business with drink Coca-Cola regularly, citing the fact that it wasn't around when the book of Mormon was set down, so they are off the hook on that one.

There is a saying about Catholics who take what they want and ignore the rest - it's called "Cafeteria Catholics"

So even if you learned about the religious core values, beliefs, etc...the people who may be conversing with will have put their own interpretations on them.

It can be provocative to the point of almost dangerous to get into a religious debate in some cases, as some folks are so obsessed.

So it may be in your best interest to just turn them away - shut the door, whatever. Always be polite, but don't engage them in conversation.

just my thoughts -
November 28th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if this has anything to do with the lady you were talking about not wanting to be raptured out or not (By the way, I totally agree with you about the whole 7 years thing. I know I don't want to be here!). The JW believe that only 144,000 people will make it to Heaven. Well, since that quota has surely been hit by now, they believe that their only hope is to live a good life so they can live on the "new Earth." (yes, they believe they have to earn their way to God, not that God gives them salvation out of his mercy and grace). They now believe they have no hope of Heaven, but they believe God will recreate the Earth into a perfect world after He destroys it, and they will be able to live there instead of Heaven. Like I said, I don't know if that has anything to do with her feelings on the rapture, but I do know that's what they believe. I agree with you though. I'd just rather not listen to their big conversion speech. After all, "I know whom I have believeth and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day." Hope that helps!

December 17th, 2004, 01:18 PM
AuntieFromBama
I grew up with a girl who was JW and they aren't allowed to celebrate anything. They are not allowed to say the Pledge of Allegience. They believe that only so many people are going to heaven.

I have noticed the window thing, but have no idea why.

After I got off I found this Jehovah Witnesses

Hope that it can answer some questions that all of you had seeing as none of us could answer each other!
January 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to kristinemf
My mother was a Jehovah's Witness........I was raised with that religion and never felt comfortable with it. I was forced as a child to not salute the flag, participate in any holiday activities, brithday parties etc.......it was very hard as a kid. I am not a christian and so is my mom. They do not believe in the trinity........they believe that Jesus was an arch angel named Micheal that came down from Heaven. If there is anything you would like to know about this.........feel free to ask!

January 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Shannoni71073
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisteal@Nov 2 2004, 04:26 PM
Caffeine IS included as a drug too. They do not drink caffiene (as a girl told me)
I personally don't like them coming to my door LMAO it just gets old
[/quote]

That's not true, well it wasn't true when I was still a JW anyway!!
January 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Shannoni71073
Quote:
Originally posted by ranidae@Nov 6 2004, 11:35 PM
Thankfully I have never had any come to my door, but I do know that the women are supposed to wear only skirts, trousers are not allowed. Plus the one woman I knew who used to be married to a J.W. said that she had to walk 5 steps behind her ex. at all times and if the boys were with them she had to walk 5steps behind the boys who followed the husband. Her kids had never celebrated any holidays, were homeschooled and not allowed to play with any children that her DH considered unworthy. I belive he took it to extremes though, but her children were majorly screwed up when I met them.

[/quote]

Most of this is not true too!! We could wear pants. No women I knew didn't have to walk 5 steps behind their husbands. (Sounds like the man you're mentioning took things to the extreme) Yes, women are supposed to be submissive, but not to that extreme. The rest is true!!
January 11th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Shannoni71073
Quote:
Originally posted by Pauba@Nov 24 2004, 10:58 AM
I don't know much about them eiter. One of my stepsisters is one andI know she nearly let he little boy die rather than take him to the hospital. Her hubby (they are now divorced prob due to her beliefs) actually told her JW was not his belief and took that baby to the hospital. Turns out he was severly anemic. He would have died. As I understand it they do not beieve in doctors or hospitals. Also they really are pushy. My dad's place has a 6ft privacy fence w/ a gate and one day they just let them selves in even though the gate was closed. The nerve! And they are hard to get away from your door you practically have to be rude. I haven't seen any in years though. But I have a question as well. Has anyone ever noticed that their Kingdom Halls have no windows? Why is this does ne1 know?
[/quote]

more non-facts. (I'm enjoying this) JW's believe in doctor's and hospitals. They don't believe in blood transfusions. Yes they are pushy. There kingdom halls don't have windows simply because they are more energy efficient that way.
January 11th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Shannoni71073
Quote:
Originally posted by zonapellucida@Nov 24 2004, 11:05 AM
I now know they do not tithe and everythign they teach is out of their publication the Watchtower. <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Yay...more to comment on....

True, but only to a certain degree....

It's not the Watchtower it's the "society" that created it that is what they follow.

Frickin cult

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search