Stuffed Mushrooms

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recipe Connection LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
I love cooking and I just found out I have GD.
These are my mother's stuffed mushrooms and I realised they're pretty low carb.

12 button mushrooms, the larger the better
Chicken of the sea imitation crab meat pouch (2.5 oz drained) or other imitation crab meat (chicken of the sea has 6g carb per serving, some others have more)
1/2 onion, chopped
garlic salt or 1-2 cloves garlic.
1 egg (optional...its good both ways, but w/o it falls apart more easily)
3-4 tbsp rolled oats ( you can use breadcrumbs but theyre higher carb)

Wipe mushrooms clean. With a paring knife, cut out the gills and inside area and scoop it out with a spoon. Also take out most of the middle flesh to create a little shell (as thin as possible w/o breaking) for the stuffing. Save the mushroom pieces.
This will take a while. Put mushroom shells in a baking dish.

Chop the mushroom pieces you had left over (or put in food processor) and add the onions to the mix. Chop/add the garlic or seasoning to taste. \
Saute the mushrooms and onions until onions are translucent. Add egg.
Add oats or breadcrumbs. Add more/less if it is too runny or too thick.
It should be rather mushy, and will firm when baked.

Fill the mushroom caps with the mixture and bake for 20-30 mins (guessing) at 350 degrees until they are cooked and the mushroom caps have released juices.

Top with monterey jack cheese (or any other cheese, but one with good flavor would be best...sharp cheddar is also good) and put back into the oven until melted.

They are my favorite and my mom used to cook them for me for every birthday.
You can change it up by substituting sausage for the krab meat or whatever you like.

They take some time...maybe an hour total, but they are worth it to me...and they taste awesome cold or reheated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search