Overseas adoption question

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Ladies!!

I am not personally adopting but have a coworker that is and I had a question that I hoped one of you lovely ladies could answer for me.....

My coworker is in the early stages of adopting 2 children from Russia. She was telling me the other day that when she does go there that she will have to bring cash for every expense while in Russia which can be upwards of $40,000.
That and the money must be american currency of bills straight from a bank that have never been in circulation.

This was very concerning to me and frankly scares me that she would have to literally strap the money to her body when she flies to Russia alone.

My question is, Is this a normal procedure?
She is a very level heading and intellegent woman and I don't believe that she would ever go with a non-reputable adoption agency.
But I am concerned.

Any insight for those of you that have adopted overseas would be wonderful.

TIA!!!

August 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow! I have never heard of that but then again I'm not real familiar with overseas adoption - Marla adopted 2 little girls from China so she might know better than me on that. It sounds a little scary to go with that much cash!!!!

I'm going to PM marla and ask her
August 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just sent a PM to Marla - she's on vacation but she checks in from time to time so hopefully she will report back here shortly. I hope the current conflict in Russia doesn't interfere with her adoption. Russia and Georgia are almost at war right now
August 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm not even sure how you would be able to get through customs with all that cash

It seems so crazy, but then again I have never been through an overseas adoption so I wasn't sure if this was the norm.

August 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have 2 daughters from China as well as Marla and I know my fees were not as much as reported for Russia. We did have to take the cash on us each time -- about $7k each time. We put it in money belts and the only place I felt unsafe with it was in the US airports.

August 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Thank you so much for your responses.
I feel a little more comforted by the fact that others have had to carry the money.

August 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
We went to China and had to carry about 10K on us. We each carried half. DH had a money belt and I had one that hung around my neck under my clothes.

Paula
August 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! I never imagined - that just sounds very very scary!
August 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately, it is the norm with international adoption. I've never understood what difference the condition of the bills made, but I guess it matters to those countries. Luckily, we never had to carry that kind of cash because our agency wired our fees directly to China.

my photog blog / my family blog
August 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Thank you ladies for all your quick responses!!!

August 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
my2babies9806's Avatar TTC #3!!!!!
Marla, what agency did you use?? I would much rather have the money wired than carry all that. And since we will have to bring our kids, I'd rather not attract attention by being questioned about that much money with them. KWIM???

DS born 4/24/98 - 41 weeks - age 11yrs
DD born 9/6/06 - 39 weeks - age 2 1/2 yrs

8 total losses: 7 first trimester & 1 second trimester

TTC #3!!! Wish us luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search