LOTS of questions!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Tonight, I got a phone call and my "nephew" may end up up for adoption. He is in Kentucky and we are in Virginia. I have nephew in quotes, because legally he is not my nephew because my parents (mom and stepdad) never actually married and this is my stepbrother's son. He's a year old.

I've tried searching on the internet but it's all so confusing. What is the process like? What about fees? What things do we need to consider?

Can you explain your experience to help us get a better idea of what to expect?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
August 10th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I adopted my niece a few years ago and I've been told it is much, much easier to do than a typical adoption. We had to have a home study done and we had an attorney draw up the paperwork (all of which you pay for) - but other than that, there were no fees (like adoption agency fees, etc). It took about 6 months to become finalized.
Good luck and keep us updated!!!
August 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
I adopted my niece a few years ago and I've been told it is much, much easier to do than a typical adoption. We had to have a home study done and we had an attorney draw up the paperwork (all of which you pay for) - but other than that, there were no fees (like adoption agency fees, etc). It took about 6 months to become finalized.
Good luck and keep us updated!!![/b]
I've heard the same thing. But since LEGALLY he's not family I wasn't sure if that would create any snags.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
August 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It might. Though, were your parents considered common law? If so, that might take away the questions of not legally family.

Fees and such are not very much really. In fact, if he is already in foster care, you shouldn't have to pay much out of pocket. If he isn't it will probably be attorney's fees and that's about it. The agency fees wouldn't come into play.

I hope this all works out and you can keep him forever.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I don't have any experience with that type of adoption, but wanted to say good luck and keep us posted!

my photog blog / my family blog
August 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thank you for the responses. VA does not have common law. However, I do have my "step"dad's last name, so maybe it won't even be questioned? Even if it is, I talked to my mom and apparently she and dad have been talking about getting married anyway (just for the legal purposes at this point). So, that would remove that snag.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search