Questions for Lawyer

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
We have a meeting with a lawyer on Thursday morning.

At this point my brother is still in the "I want to try it myself" mode. Don't get me wrong, of course it would be ideal for Josh to be with his dad. I just don't think he'll be able to do it. He hasn't had a steady job in years and doesn't even have a vehicle (much less child care). I don't see how he can afford two kids. The mother is in jail at the moment for abandoning him. She THREW him in a car (luckily my SIL caught him) and drove off. She hasn't seen him since. So we had been asked if we'd be willing to take him and raise him as our own.

We had been talking about adopting down the line, so we are definitely willing to consider it. We realize that when (and if) my brother can't do this he'll need an answer pretty quickly so we're going ahead and meeting with a lawyer to make the decision now. ((If it were just up to me we would've already said yes!))

Anyway, we were wondering what kind of questions we should ask. Here's what we have so far:
  1. What all does the process entail?
  2. What charges can we expect?
  3. What will the homestudy entail?
  4. When can we expect custody?
  5. How many trips will we have to make to Kentucky?
  6. What kind of trouble can Desiree (the mother) cause?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
August 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think those are wonderful questions! When you ask about the costs, ask him/her about the misc fees as well - a set price for the attorney might not include court fees, and other filing fees.
When we were talking to our attorney, the birth father wasn't sure if he wanted to give her up or not (even though he had several other kids that he hasn't paid child support on or visited) - our attorney reminded him that he would be free and clear of all child support - he signed on the dotted line so fast it made our heads spin!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
August 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think those are great questions. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

my photog blog / my family blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search