Meeting With Lawyer

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Ok, so apparently, our case is VERY complicated.

Chris and I are engaged. The judges in our area are super-conservative. The lawyer said that it would be impossible to find a judge around here that will grant an adoption without us having been married a year.

Since the mother is in jail, we'd have to take her into court to have her rights terminated. In jail, she is basically considered disabled.

The fact that it's an interstate adoption adds to the complication as well.

I can get custody in my name, BUT I don't have health insurance. That would make the judge more leery. Now, Chris and I can get married now, and fix that.

After we left the lawyers office, I called my Mom and found out that apparently, my brother isn't on the birth certificate. So we'd have to establish paternity before we can do anything. *sigh*

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
August 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, wow. That just sounds crazy!

Have you and Chris thought of just getting married like now... or in two days or whatever you have to wait after getting a marriage liscense where you are. If you are planning a large wedding, you can still have it, but this way you'd have the "legal" date earlier.

Paternity shouldn't be too hard if the birthmom has already named him as father.

I'm sorry this is so much harder than it should be!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Oh man, wow. That just sounds crazy!

Have you and Chris thought of just getting married like now... or in two days or whatever you have to wait after getting a marriage liscense where you are. If you are planning a large wedding, you can still have it, but this way you'd have the "legal" date earlier.

Paternity shouldn't be too hard if the birthmom has already named him as father.

I'm sorry this is so much harder than it should be!![/b]
We have talked about that. All paternity would take is a DNA test...It's just a matter of my brother having the money to do that.

I think the annoying part is having to hire an attorney in KY for the custody proceedings and then after we've had him for a little while, hire an attorney here in VA for the adoption proceedings.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
August 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry - it's so crazy - meanwhile here is the child who needs a good home but all the red tape gets in the way - it's just sad I hope you get it all worked out
August 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, that does sound complicated! I hope it all works out for y'all. HUGS!

my photog blog / my family blog
August 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Augie,

I hope this lawyer thing works out soon! How long will the paternity test take once he has the money? Aren't you 2 getting married in September? I wish you the best of luck! Are you getting to foster the baby atm? or is it in foster care in KY?

Good Luck! I will keep you two in my prayers!
August 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Hi Augie,

I hope this lawyer thing works out soon! How long will the paternity test take once he has the money? Aren't you 2 getting married in September? I wish you the best of luck! Are you getting to foster the baby atm? or is it in foster care in KY?

Good Luck! I will keep you two in my prayers![/b]
I'm not quite sure how long the paternity test will take. We are getting married NEXT September. We had planned on Dean signing over custody to us and then adopted from there. At the moment Josh is with his maternal grandmother.

Now that DF has had more time to think about it, he's having second thoughts. He's worried about the legal costs of it all. I do understand his concerns as they are completely valid. I think we're going to hold off and see how it goes...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search