Question about step parent adoptions

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I have a question about step parent adoption in California. Back in 2003 I was granted full legal and physical custody of my now 6 yr old son. There have been visitations up until February. In February, DS told me and my DH some things that had us concerned enough to take him to the police department. Social Services came and visited us the next day, then a few days later he had a CAST team interview. Through all this, I went to court and a temporary order for no visitation or contact was issued. Fast foward to June. Went to court for the visitation issue. Social Services liason testified that they had substantiated the allegations against his bio-dad based on the detail given, the knowledge of things he is too young to understand, and the fact his story never changed. However the police detective felt that a (then) 5 yr old's testimony was not enough to pursue criminal charges. His testimony was then sealed. The courts ordered supervised visitation which his father has made no effort to have. When talking to my aunt who is an attorney, she suggested that we petition for DH to adopt DS, terminating DS's fathers rights based on the issue that started this whole thing.

DH loves DS just as much as the other kids. DS has called him daddy for 5 years and he has never differentiated between DS and the other kids either. No one who doesn't know us knows that DS is not "legally" his son. DS is beggin and pleading not to have to see his father.

Does anyone know about step parent adoptions in CA? My Aunt is considering representing us, and we definately want to have DH adopt him. DS knows what adoption is (his 2 closest friends are adopted) and has been asking for DH to "dopt" him since he was 4.
August 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you all are having to go through this - I don't know what the legal process would be but it sounds like it would be a slam dunk case! I wish you a lot of luck and I am so glad that you have given this little angel a wonderful home and family! Please keep us updated as you go! Much, much luck to you and your family!
August 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help at all, but I hope it all works out for y'all!

my photog blog / my family blog
August 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Seems like it would be the same as an adoption of any kind. If your DS's bio dad signs away his rights, then it is simple and it's just a matter of paperwork. If he refuses to do that, it might be a little more hairy, but I think with the history and such it shouldn't be too bad. I'd ask DCFS or whatever agency that worked with y'all when all this was going on and see what they say.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search