adoption

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Regular
I have two boys, but I always wanted to adopt. I really don't even know where to start. My friends think I'm silly since I'm capable of having kids on my own and the people I know who have adopted are only friends of friends. Are international or national adoptions better? Where can I look for reliable information on adopting? How long does the process take?
Thanks
August 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board.
First, I wouldn't listen to your friends. There are many reasons for adoption that don't include infertility. Adoption is a beautiful blessing.
International and Domestic adoptions are very different. Each has a benefit and a risk. There is also foster to adopt. The process can take as short as 6 months to 5+ years depending on the situation, country, etc.
I would suggest reading books about adoption and contacting your local adoption agencies for information. There are several adoption books, including "The Adoption Option" and "Adoption for Dummies." Each is a basic run down of what to expect.
Good luck and feel free to ask many questions.
August 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome!! I totally agree with not listening to friends when making the decision of how to grow/complete your family. Just because it's not what they'd choose for themselves doesn't mean it isn't the right choice for you. I have 2 biological boys and 2 daughters from China, so I often get the "why would you adopt when you can have your own" question too. Because it was right for us, that's why. Our daughters are "our own" and we don't feel that family is all about biology.

Definitely narrowing down where you want to adopt from will be your first big decision. I can't say that I consider any one program any better than another, it just depends on what you feel lead to do. You might check out some adoption agencies' websites for a breakdown of the requirements and details on individual countries if you're interested in international adoption. And maybe contact your county's social services dept if you're interested in fostering to adopt.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you the best and hope that you'll keep us posted on your journey!

my photog blog / my family blog
August 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to everyone else! I just want to welcome you here!

We're doing foster care and foster to adopt. I think the most help to me was talking with people who had adopted and fostered and reading endless books on the topic. Good luck on figuring out where you want to go! Adoption is a fabulous thing... don't let those friends tell you otherwise. There are PLENTY of children who need good homes whether or not those parents can conceive and have healthy children or not.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't have said it better! Everybody gave great advice!!! Good luck with your decisions!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search