Researching International Adoption!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Angel_Maker
Hello there!

My name is Brandi, Dh is David, and we have been TTC for over 2 years. In July 2007, it was discovered that I was carrying non viable conjoined twins (conceived on 50mg Clomid). We lost our twin boys, Asher and Noah, at 16 weeks gestation on August 3, 2007. We have been TTC ever since with no luck.

We recently did our FIRST IVF, which failed. We are planning a FET for December, however, my hopes are not high (call me Mrs. Pessimist) so I am already PLANNING for an International Adoption.

I originally wanted to adopt from Mexico (dh is 1/2 Mexican) but that seems like an impossible task! So I have now set my sights on Kazakhstan!!

I am in Jacksonville, Florida and need to find a reputable Hague Accredited Agency to assist me with this process! If you know of any agencies, good or bad, please let me know! I've read so many HORROR stories about adoption SCAMS and I DO NOT want to be a part of that

Also, for those of you whom have adopted Internationally, please share you experience with me. And also, if you wouldn't mind, if you could fill me in on how much everything cost (ballpark estimate!) I'm thinking around $30,000?

Thank you so much and I look forward to getting to know you all!
November 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board.
Let's see, where to start.
Our story is somewhat similar to yours. We had some infertility and decided to adopt from Korea. We are leaving in a few day to pick up our beautiful baby boy. It took about a year from start to finish and cost close to 40K.

As for finding an agency - the best advice I can give is to go to many information meetings. Most reputable agencies will require you go to their meeting prior to signing up. I believe Kazakstan is in a bit of a flux right now so I would ask the agencies about their policies regarding countries pulling out.

I would not choose an agency based on cost. You will find that agency costs are very different but there is often a reason why the cheaper agencies are cheaper. We went with the most expensive agency, not because of cost but because of trust, and had an amazing experience.

I would do significant research on the country you choose. Each country has specific issues. For example, many Russian countries have serious issues with FAS. Many African countries have issues with malnutrition. You can reduce the chance of getting a child with health issues but you cannot guarantee it. Also, many countries are on a precarious balance. Countries shut down all the time and many of the newer country programs are not stable.

Other than that, go with your gut and prepare for a long emotional journey. It is a wonderful journey but I found it more difficult than infertility treatments. One thing to consider is that most agencies will not bring you on if you are currently still in infertility treatments. Also, if you get pregnant, you will most likely have to pull out of adoption and risk losing significant money.

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Again, adoption is wonderful and the journey great.
November 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Angel_Maker
Thank you so much for your reply

Congrats on your baby boy! We are hoping to adopt a boy as well!

I am considering World Partners Adoption based out of Georgia; anyone familiar with them? They are not Hague accredited; however, from what I've read, the agency doesn't "have to be" in order for you to adopt out of Kazakhstan

You said Kazakhstan is in a bit of a flux? I haven't read anything negative about the adoptions coming out of there....would WPA be able to fill me in? Everything I've read online said that their (Kazakhstan's) adoption program is open

Also, how did you girls pay for the adoption? I am already working 3 jobs so that I can pay off the IVF debt as quickly as possible....are there any tips you girls can give me? Did any of you apply for adoption grants? If so, how does that process work?

TIA!
November 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry - I don't have any experience with foreign adoptions but it sounds like you got some great advice - The biggest thing is research! Thank goodness we live in the internet days
Good luck! Please keep us updated!!!
November 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to the group! I'm not much help with Kazakhstan, as my girls are both from China. But I will say to definitely go with a reputable agency and they will get you through the process. We used Holt International and had great experiences with them with both adoptions. There are grants available for adoption and don't forget about the adoption tax credit that you can take after the adoption is final, that helped us a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted!

my photog blog / my family blog
November 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi and welcome to the group! I'm not much help with Kazakhstan, as my girls are both from China. But I will say to definitely go with a reputable agency and they will get you through the process. We used Holt International and had great experiences with them with both adoptions. There are grants available for adoption and don't forget about the adoption tax credit that you can take after the adoption is final, that helped us a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted![/b]
Good points. I think the adoption tax credit expires in either 2010 or 2011. That is cutting it close for finalization if you start the adoption process today. Don't quote me on it but I have heard rumors.
November 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yikes, I forgot it's supposed to expire! Sorry about that.

Best of luck on your trip, when do you guys leave??

my photog blog / my family blog
December 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Quote:
Good points. I think the adoption tax credit expires in either 2010 or 2011. That is cutting it close for finalization if you start the adoption process today. Don't quote me on it but I have heard rumors.[/b]

Stopping in from the July '08 PR (and a possible future member of this forum), I took a look at that rumor and yes it is set to expire in 2010, but it only means that instead of 10k credit if you make under 150k income a year, you'd get 5k credit if you are making less than 75k income a year. That is the older rule that was set before the 10k credit was in place so once it expires, the old rule will come back in to play. So the credit is still available if you are within their income limits. Also there may be a new rule or extension considered when that expires, so if that is true, then let's hope it's as good as if not better. Obama is big on adoption, so I would not be surprised if he works to get something better in place by the time the old rule expires.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
December 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We would love for you to let us know where things are - Please let us know if we can help in any way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search