Profit/Non Profit

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Angel_Maker
Ok, aside from the obvious, what's the difference in a profit vs. non profit adoption agency. Anything other than the fact that one is in it to make a little cash and the other isn't??

Also, in my other thread someone mentioned that the adoption tax credit is getting ready to expire soon. What are my other financial options if that happens? Has anyone applied for grants? What are the odds of getting a grant or grants? I really wish people would make this adoption process a little easier-my goodness this is overwhelming!
November 7th, 2008, 04:07 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Ok, aside from the obvious, what's the difference in a profit vs. non profit adoption agency. Anything other than the fact that one is in it to make a little cash and the other isn't??

Also, in my other thread someone mentioned that the adoption tax credit is getting ready to expire soon. What are my other financial options if that happens? Has anyone applied for grants? What are the odds of getting a grant or grants? I really wish people would make this adoption process a little easier-my goodness this is overwhelming![/b]
I have only heard of a few for profit agencies. This subject is very difficult for many adoptive parents but ultimately, there is a financial exchange for our children. I personally feel better knowing that the money I provide to the agency is going for the betterment of birth mothers or adoption rather than making someone rich.

As for the financial options - there are few. If you own a home, a home equity is a popular choice. The grants are near impossible to get unless you are adopting a highly special needs child. I do not know anyone who has gotten a grant. Since you are in the early stages of considering an adoption, one thing you might want to consider is trying to get a job at a company that supports adoption. There are several companies that will pay for a large portion of your adoption. Check out the dave thomas foundation, I think they provide a list. I know that Starbucks picks up some of the adoption.

Adoption is not for the faint of heart but you can do it!
November 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm afraid I don't know much about the differences of profit/nonprofit - but here is a website that offers grants for people who want to adopt - Hope this helps!

HelpUsAdopt.org
November 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Angel_Maker
Quote:
Quote:

Also, in my other thread someone mentioned that the adoption tax credit is getting ready to expire soon. What are my other financial options if that happens? Has anyone applied for grants? What are the odds of getting a grant or grants? I really wish people would make this adoption process a little easier-my goodness this is overwhelming![/b]
I have only heard of a few for profit agencies. This subject is very difficult for many adoptive parents but ultimately, there is a financial exchange for our children. I personally feel better knowing that the money I provide to the agency is going for the betterment of birth mothers or adoption rather than making someone rich.

As for the financial options - there are few. If you own a home, a home equity is a popular choice. The grants are near impossible to get unless you are adopting a highly special needs child. I do not know anyone who has gotten a grant. Since you are in the early stages of considering an adoption, one thing you might want to consider is trying to get a job at a company that supports adoption. There are several companies that will pay for a large portion of your adoption. Check out the dave thomas foundation, I think they provide a list. I know that Starbucks picks up some of the adoption.

Adoption is not for the faint of heart but you can do it!
[/b]

Thank You! Unfortunately I'm a teacher, so I can't get another job. I wish that the district I worked for did more to help it's teachers create families. They don't offer infertility coverage on our insurance policies, nor do they assist with adoptions! They suck

I am going to continue to do my research and see what I can find out. I have found 3 agencies which seem very reputable, however, I believe two of the three are "for profit" so I'm leaning towards Alliance For Children because it's non profit, and I just feel better about that.

**OOOPS, looks like 2 of my choices are non profit, so now I have some more research to do Anyone know about World Partner Adoption?
November 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I am a foster mommy and hoping to adopt through the foster care system, so I don't know much about international adoptions or agencies (unless you are talking DHR... then I know a lot... lol). BUT, I just wanted to say hello. And to let you know that, though it seems completely overwhelming and sometimes impossible, you CAN do it. I believe adoption is such a blessed thing and I pray your family can grow in this way and/or the next IVF!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Angel_Maker
Quote:
Hi! I am a foster mommy and hoping to adopt through the foster care system, so I don't know much about international adoptions or agencies (unless you are talking DHR... then I know a lot... lol). BUT, I just wanted to say hello. And to let you know that, though it seems completely overwhelming and sometimes impossible, you CAN do it. I believe adoption is such a blessed thing and I pray your family can grow in this way and/or the next IVF![/b]
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement Of course we are praying that our FET works in December and we are blessed with a baby to love; however, if we get pregnant with only one baby, then we will persue adoption within the next several years. If the FET DOES NOT work, then we will begin the paperwork in January!

We just want a family! We don't care how that happens
November 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
I can tell you that I am adopting currently and can tell you that I am going through DSS's adoption program and everything is free except for you and everyone in your household getting medical physicals. They pay for DHEC inspections, fire marshall inspections and for all of your legal fees. Its part of the fostering department of DSS. We have requested a newborn and are getting ready to finish up our homestudy. Maybe you can contact your local DSS foster care division and talk to the person that is the director there and see if they can point you in the right direction. Regular DSS social workers have nothing to do with the adoptions or foster care here. It is a separate division. Thats why I suggested talking to the director of the program rather than calling and not getting accurate information. I am in South Carolina and if you lived here I could assist in giving you numbers to contact the right people. It is honestly the cheapest route that I have seen so far since they pay for everything. Plus no matter how much money you make you automatically get WIC until the child turns 5 years old and you get medicaid until the child graduates high school up to the age of 21. Just thought that I would add that in. I hope that helps in your need of information. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search