Question Please

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
We start our foster classes in January, my questions are, how long i the classes usually and how long after completion does it usually take to get placement, I am excited about the foster parenting/adoption , and just kind of want to know the normal time frame. We are also scared that because we have bad credit from past history that we will be denied, so please anyone who knows these questions, please share.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my Awesome Sciencey Siggy
December 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ohhhh I wish I knew the answers to give you but I've not done the foster route - I'm sure there are other mommies on here that can help I am soooooo excited for you!!!! Please keep us updated!!!
December 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
First of all, congrats for signing up for classes!!

I haven't done the classes yet, either, but I can tell you what it says on this nifty invitation I got today. Our class is once a week, four hours a night, six weeks in a row for a total of 24 hours. We've been told that the home study process can take up to 3 months depending upon how many interviews and background checks have to be conducted (one for every single person living in the home). After that she said it can take 1-3 months (or longer depending upon your own parameters) to be matched with a child and then things finally start to get moving.

When we were starting this whole process, I went to our state's government website, linked to the Department of Social Services from there and searched for adoption. It pretty much laid out the entire process from beginning to end. You may be able to do the same thing on your state's website.

Also, I've been told in no uncertain terms that they are looking for stability and a safe environment. They are not looking for perfection. When I was anxious about revealing the gory details of my childhood, our social worker told me to remember that they WANT to place a child with us. They are not looking to rule you out but to rule you IN as so many children are waiting desperately for good, dependable families to love and cherish them.

Good Luck to you, hon. Try not to worry. Just take it one step at a time. They're bound to appreciate your enthusiasm!!

December 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
LadyLacy's Avatar Super Mommy
ditto what Jessa said.

it can take some time. we took saturday classes 4 of them for fostering one for adoption and one for cpr. then theres the packet and the home inspection. so about 5wks for classes, however long it takes to get paperwork done, and not sure bout the inspection time frame yet.
December 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Thank you so much girls for the information, I am just excited to start the process, but at least it does start soon I read through the packet yesterday, and some of the statistics are so sad, I was reading them to my dh, and he agrees with me, at least we will be helping at least one child, while adding another child to love to our household.

December 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How exciting! Good luck with the process and please keep us posted!

my photog blog / my family blog
December 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did all our paperwork and homestudies during the class. Our last class was on June 1st (2nd?) and we met our foster son on July 1st. He stayed the night with us on the 3rd. Then he stayed a week with us. Then he moved in for good on July 27th. So it was pretty quick.

Our classes were 3 hours a week for 10 weeks. We sent in the fingerprints (which always take the longest to get back) at the second meeting. We got all the paperwork done before the next class meeting after it was handed out.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
December 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences, I am hoping for some pretty quick progress!

December 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hubby and I finished our classes end of Feb 2006, and April 22 2006, we were introduced to 2 very scared kiddos who were brother and sister for "emergency placement." Needless to say, they stayed. We fell in love with them, and vice versa.

Adoption was finalized on 9-23-2008. Both DH and I are Firefighter/Paramedics with CPR and EMS instructor certification, and we could not get a waiver for the first aid/cpr portion of the classes (We had to take THEIR classes) so we had to wait an additional month to be "completed in classes" to get our foster license in the middle of March 2006.

Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
December 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
~Ivy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! I've not been around in a while (user name used to be Ivy) but thought I'd help!

It took us about 2-3 months to finish classes, homestudy, fire safety check, and all that jazz. Once everything is complete, you'll go into the system as showing your home is ready! From there is all luck and hope! You could get a placement within days or it could take some time. I hope your wait is short and very very sweet!!!

My Blog

December 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks ladies for your answers, it gives me hope, I wish our state had a website for children in waiting like other stats do.

December 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you visited www.adoptuskids.org? VA doesn't have their own search engine, either, but our DSS works hand-in-hand with this organization.

Good Luck, Vicki! I can't wait to hear how the classes go!!

December 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I would also recommend adoptuskids.org. You can search by just your state. Be fairwarned though that I have heard of people inquiring about a specific child and being told, "Oh, I'm sorry, soandso is already out of the system, but we'd love to send you info on this other child." It's kind of a bait and switch tactic sometimes.

However, I look very very often at adoptuskids.org.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search