Very young person wanting to foster

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a 22 year old female child psy major, elementary special ed minor. I have known I've wanted to foster for a very long time. I don't plan on fostering until at least a year from now, probably more. I think they will reject my application because of my age though. I mean, in spite of my education and experience with special needs kids. Part of this I can understand, but I feel like I need to being doing this now. I feel like now more than ever more babies, young adults, and children are being placed into foster care. Research has always shown that as the economy goes down, unemployment goes up, child abuse goes up, and more kids enter the system. As this happens, less families apply to become foster parents. I read stories of child abuse, murder, & neglect in the newspaper, on the TV, and over the net, and I want to help so badly it hurts in my heart everyday. Like the story of the 3 year old little girl, Caylee Anthony, who went missing in FL last summer and the found her body last month in a swamp. She was murdered by her mother.

I see things like that all around me & I know that if someone would just let ME help, things could have been so much different. It aches more and more in me everyday. I can't describe it. I want to see some little infant (born addicted to drugs) that no one else would want to foster grow up in a better life under my wing. I want to watch some little girl (who was molested in her previous home) grow to be a happy, confident, well adjusted, little girl with my daily love, patience, and attention.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting this. I guess I just need to vent.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally understand where you are coming from. Those poor children do deserve a shot at life. Good luck with your quest
January 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You might not be able to foster right now, but have you considered working as mentor and possibly with CASA or some other of that type organization. Obviously your heart is in it! If you cannot do it because you are too young right now, do something like that.

Are you single? Have you considered the things you'll have to deal with as a foster parent such as taking time off work for doctor's appointments, sick kids, visits, home studies, etc.? Also, what kind of a support system do you have? Can you afford to support children and yourself right now?

I've always wanted to foster. I would have done it at 19 if they'd have let me, but obviously I wasn't in the position of life that I could yet. I'm glad I and my DH are more established in our lives before we started fostering. It is still very hard, but we can handle it because we know ourselves and our family well.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
and

I totally agree that if your heart is in it, then you can/will find a way to help now --even if fostering is still a ways down the road for you.

Good Luck, hon!! And welcome to our board!

January 5th, 2009, 12:27 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You might not be able to foster right now, but have you considered working as mentor and possibly with CASA or some other of that type organization.[/b]
They aren't hiring, along with most of the rest of the country. Funds for programs like that are being cut. Even the non-for-profit organizations are having to shut down or drastically decrease in size do to lack of sponsorship from donors and lack of funding from the state & federal gov. I live in the state with the worst economy, MI.

Quote:
Are you single?[/b]
yes

Quote:
Have you considered the things you'll have to deal with as a foster parent such as taking time off work for doctor's appointments, sick kids, visits, home studies, etc.?[/b]
It was one of the very first things I considered !

Quote:
Also, what kind of a support system do you have?[/b]
I have very supportive friends! My parents are not supportive, not about be fostering in the future, just in general. The rest of my family is very supportive.

Quote:
Can you afford to support children and yourself right now?[/b]
No, which is why I'm not doing it "now." In 1 year (MINIMUM, probably more like 2 to 3 in actuality), once I'm farther along in my education, I want to start.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 5th, 2009, 05:42 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you have your head in a good place. I'd call your local DHR or foster care agency and ask if there is anything you can do to help. Our DHR allows people to become trained to help supervise visits and such. This is NOT a paid position, but then neither is foster parenting... LOL. I was thinking all those things I'd mentioned on more of a volunteer basis, not paid. So I don't know how the economy would hinder them, but then I guess it could.

I only ask all those questions because I am a member of another foster/adoption message board. There are so many people on there who are single, young, and gungho about fostering and then get a child into their home and realize they can't do it. They don't have enough support, don't have a job that is willing to let them off 3 days out of every week, don't have anywhere to put the child on the weekends to do normal stuff like shopping and such, and end up disrupting the placement. But, for your encouragment, there are also a number of single folks on there who are foster parents and have been for many years. Some of them have as many as 6 kids in their home.

I hope you can find a way to make a difference in kids' lives while you wait to become a foster parent!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search