I have a question!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anyting about adoption, I've never looked into it. I've alway been open to it though. So my question is.....can it be easy to adopt a 1 or 2 year old in the US?

January 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess it depends on what you define as easy. Adoption is never simple - there is a lot of paperwork and it takes a lot of time. There are typically two types of adoption in the US, one is the foster to adopt and one is private adoption. There are several ladies on the board who are foster to adopt parents.

For private adoption, the children are typically very young. In most cases, the birthmother opts for an open adoption where she would choose the adoptive parents. The chance of actually adopting the child varies because many adoptions fail in the US due to the birthmother changing her mind. Private adoption can happen immediately or you can wait for 10 years, it just depends if a birth mother chooses you.

Hope this helps.
January 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I agree. It depends on what you consider easy.

I'm a foster to adopt mom. My foster son has been here for about 6 months now. We are still in limbo as to what exactly will happen with him. We are about 85% sure we'll adopt him, but until the ink is dry on the papers, we won't know 100%.

We started this process January of 2008, so for us to get a placement of a most likely adoptable child in that short of a time is really quick. There is a ton of paperwork, lots of interviews and home visits. Back ground checks, fingerprints, etc. It is a lot of work. But I think completely worth it. We have one living bio child who has been with us through this all too, so we have been taking care of her all through the process and of course, that takes time and makes things a little more difficult that it would be without children already in the home.

I've not heard of many private adoptions that are not infants. Mostly just born children. If you are looking for a 1-2 year old child, I'd go through the foster system either through your local DHR or an agency. And with that young, I'd expect to foster or to wait a long time.

What are your thoughts on adoption? Why are you thinking about it? Why a 1-2 year old?

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have two beautiful children of my own and I think about the loving home I could provide another child. I feel like it's a gift that I could give to a child who may not have it otherwise. I love my children, but man, I just don't think I can go through another pregnancy and newborn time. I absolutely hated being pregnant! And as hard as it is to admit, I don't really enjoy the whole baby thing. i am open to just about anyting as far as adoption goes, but not so sure about my husband. It's not something that we have really sat down and talked about in great detail at this point. But I know he's for it. Just maybe not certain proccesses, but at the same time I'm sure he doesn' tknow much about it either. Like I don't know how he'd feel about foster to adopt. I don't know. it' sjust something I was thinkin about the other day and just wondered about it. thought I'd ask you ladies. I figure if I want and infant, I might as well do it again myself. But man, when i think about pregnancy and labor again, it makes me want to hide. LOL But we really want more than two children. Anywa......thanks for you input!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search