Adoption date

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Dacontay4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is absolutely convinced she's going to get two parties for her every year. One in October, her birthday party, and one in April, her adoption day party. We are coming up on the one year mark in April and she wants to start planning her adoption party! I guess she thinks since she got an adoption party last year, when she was first adopted, it would turn into an annual thing. I told her that maybe we would go out to dinner or something on her adoption date, but she was only going to get a birthday party, not an adoption party. Needless to say she got very upset. She knows what a special thing it is to be adopted, and wants it to guarantee her 2 parties every year. But I've also emphasized that being adopted doesn't make her *more* special then her brother and sisters, that we love them all the same, it was just a different kind of special. When I pointed that out, that what kind of message would it be sending her brother and her sisters, who were not adopted, if she got 2 parties every year and they only got one, she decided it wouldn't really be right after all, and they should *all* get 2 parties every year? 12 parties for my children, every year? Yeah right!

So, now she's trying to convince me to forget all about her birthday all together and ONLY celebrate her adoption day! The only thing is, the two are 6 months apart, and come October, she'll want to switch it back and only celebrate her birthday! And if not, down the road, in a few years when she turns 13, or 16, or 18, or whatever, she'll want to celebrate it!

So, we'll be keeping her birthday in October LOL! Maybe go out for dinner or something on her adoption day. I was just wondering, do the rest of you celebrate adoption days? Or will you?
Mason Charles (1/3/05) and Kaydence Faith (4/30/10)

Check out my blog at
http://davealy.blogspot.com

February 10th, 2009, 05:09 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you explained that very well! I love that she's working so hard at it though... LOL. That's SUCH a 9 year old girl thing to do. How cute!!

I have a feeling we'll have a special family dinner or something like that on adoption day each year, but definitely not a party every year for the same reasons you said. I wouldn't want my bio daughter to get the idea that she isn't as special as the adopted kids. I don't know though... we'll see.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
February 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I agree with you that 2 parties in not fair to your other kids. For children in my family that have been adopted we had a party after the adoption was final. And thats it. Dinner sounds fine just to celebrate the day he or she was part of your family.
February 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did not have a party when we did the final order of adoption, however we did when we filed the paperwork!!!

I like the idea of a nice dinner out....
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search