Home Study and dogs?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Deirdre's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a question about home studies. (They scare the crap out of me!)

I have 2 pitbulls (please don't post negative comments) and I'm worried what the home study person will think of that. I have an 8 year old and I'm a responsible dog owner. They are indoor dogs and very much a part of our family.

Has anyone been through a home study with large dogs? (shepherds, rotties, dobermans? boxers?)

April 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't been through one yet, but I do have 2 dogs. Are you going domestic or international? I was watching "adoption stories" on discovery health one time, and they said that if you're going international, don't mention pets, because other countries don't see them as family members the way Americans tend to. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. I have no problem with ANY breed, personally. Any dog can be a good dog, and any dog can be a bad dog (smaller ones tend to be the worst). Responsible training is the key. I bet your case worker will see how great you are and not judge you based on a stereotype.
April 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have four dogs and it wasn't an issue. For us, they required a report from the vet regarding shots but I don't think that my social worker even met the dogs. We just put them in their crates and went ahead with the meeting. Our social worker only met us in our house once so she wasn't really exposed to the dogs too much.

I remember being scared to death about the homestudy but it isn't really as bad as you think. The social workers are there to help you get through it not to persecute you. Good luck, it will be fine!
April 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I know! I have a friend who went through 2 adoptions. *deep breath!*

Thanks! I think I'll take the dogs to daycare. They can get hyper with people and I don't want a disaster or the distraction of them wanting out/in/etc. I think it's more for my sanity than anything.

We're planning a domestic adoption.

April 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our worker wanted to meet and see our pets, at the time of the home study I had Master Fang Shui (the cat who thought it was more fun to redecorate while we were at work and is now deceased) and the dog.

The worker came into our home and the first thing she see is this very large feline napping on a ceiling fan blade....

She looked at the backyard (I assume for cleanliness) and litter box, the pet areas, the food dishes, and asked where we kept pet meds (same place as people meds).

We had to provide vet records, county license for both doggy and kitty, and she asked if either one was a biter and how did they behave around kiddos.

I would say that the doggys are at daycare so they can get exercised. I blame the deed not the breed and it would be understandable if they were not in the home during your homestudy.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
April 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Ok thanks for the advice!

Knowing in advance that I should have their shot records help. I'll have all that so I'm not scrambling.

They are still young (my boy turned 2 today and my girl is 17months). We've taken them through obedience class and plan to continue until the CGC test. They still get worked up when people come to the door but are doing better. That's what I'm worried about, that she'll see how hyper they are when she comes. That's not what they are like with us at all. I have an 8 year old and they do just fine. She can play on the floor and they know that they have to stay out of her "space" and they know their place in the pecking order as well.

They totally go there to get exercised and socialized. My female learned how to play properly from a corgi

April 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww, I had a pit bull when I was born. He had been fought in the rings for a while and apparently lost, so when my mom found him (walking around their neighborhood) he had this huge gash in his face where he'd been "hooked" out of the ring. Poor guy. He was SO gentle though. Momma cleaned him up and he became our dog. That was before any of us were born. When Momma had us, she worried how Buster would react, but he was just his usual gentle, loving self. My parents also had a daschund who was super hyper and when she'd lay my oldest brother on the mat on the floor, Buster would lay next to the mat (never getting on it) and keep that little daschund off of my brother. I remember riding Buster like a horse when I was just starting to walk and he never cared.

I have a special place in my heart for pits for sure.

Anyway... we have to provide the shot records each year for our SW. She wanted them home when she did the homestudy initially because they have to be sure that the dogs won't hurt a stranger (since the kids coming into the home are essentially strangers). And because we were doing foster care, the kids can be much older than a baby whom you carry in the house in your arms. My dogs tend to jump (I have one bigger dog and one small dog... both mutts really) but that didn't seem to bother her. She petted them and they were awesome with that (they love to be petted). And she checked how we kept the house up with the dogs in it... where their food was placed (we had to move it, it wasn't allowed to be in the kitchen where we kept it), their outside yard, etc.

The homestudy is a little scarey... but really I tell everyone. Remember that they aren't looking to rule you OUT... they want to rule you IN as an adoptive home.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
April 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
LadyLacy's Avatar Super Mommy
ita w/e/o else. we had to show they was up to date on their shots. our sw probably did see the litter box area and the cat hid (b/c she's very shy) and she did see our "puppy" (2 yr old shih tzu) she didn't ask us how they acted around children. and IA the home study seems scary and I was scared when we first sstarted the process but by the time we got to the CM coming out and the consulting coming out for the home inspection, I was more at ease. as was said by Beth, they want to rule you IN and help get you to that point. it ended up not being as scary as I thought it would be. I think they'd be more wanting to know how they was around your dd and how you'd respond if a child was scared of the dogs as appposed to their particular breed. and ita its how responsible the dog owners are/training of the dogs as appossed to breed. my brother had two rottweilers and they was such big dogs/big babies around my brother.

M/C 6wks 4days Jan09 & 4wks 5days Nov 05, 3/25/09dnc[10wks 3d]Jan/24/2010[11wks baby stopped growing at 7+ wks]
April 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just always so paranoid because of the breed that we'll be judged differently.

My dd isn't scared of them at all and knows how to handle them. We would start training them anyways to ease the transition.

My dd can be on the floor with her calicos or my littlest pet shops and they will stay away. My SIL came over yesterday and they were excited but after 5 minutes they settled so that was good for me to see that they have made progress. We don't have many people come to the house, we're usually the ones over at their house.

Thanks!

For an aww factor:

This is Phoebe and my DD

and Teegan is the one being used as a pillow and I think I woke Phoebe up there.

Last edited by Deirdre; April 25th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
April 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm discouraged about all this. My pastor's wife works for DHS and she said that on a home study with a pitbull, they never place kids there but she isn't sure if another home study agency would do the same etc. They do the same for rottis and big dogs like that.

I think it's ridiculous. There's NO way I am getting rid of my dogs.

I mean we're responsible. We're not going to let them run all over a baby.

This whole thing is just so unfair. I'm going to try to research some more. Surely, someone out there has pits and adopted a child.

April 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
LadyLacy's Avatar Super Mommy
oh wow! maybe its a individual sw thing? surely not the whole agency? your dogs look adorable btw.

M/C 6wks 4days Jan09 & 4wks 5days Nov 05, 3/25/09dnc[10wks 3d]Jan/24/2010[11wks baby stopped growing at 7+ wks]
April 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search