Oklahoma adoption.

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Deirdre's Avatar Super Mommy
Has anyone adopted from an Oklahoma?

I know of one agency but I don't like one of their stipulations which is that they want the mom to stay home for the first 5 years. They make you "promise" that you will.

I already know we won't be able to do that. They are, however, very affordable (8K) and I have a friend who adopted twice from them. She told me to just promise but I would feel so bad. I graduate in Dec 2010 and after that, I'm looking for a job.

I looked at other agencies (Dillon, Gladney and others). They are all super expensive. We have equity in the house and plan to apply for a grant with Show Hope | Home to help with the costs and whatever else we can think of to limit the indebtedness.

Gladney seems good too but scary. Seems so big if that makes sense. We could do the ABC program. We fall in the lower side of the scale. We don't want to specify race but my husband doesn't want to rule out Caucasians either. I'll have to talk to him about this program as another option and see what he says.

Also, the tax credit thing. That's just a credit towards the taxes you owe right? My husband and I are both students so we never owe and get all of our money back.

The more I read, the more I'm overwhelmed and scared.

Last edited by Deirdre; April 25th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
August 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm actually in Oklahoma too. Because it is so expensive, we've decided to adopt through DHS. The only cost to us is our physicals and fingerprints and they were only $40 total for two sets for both of us. I know that Deaconess in OKC charge $15,000 and I found an agency in Tulsa , but they are over $17,000. Our old next door neighbors adopted through Gladney and had a very positive experience. They are in the process of adopting again through them, but they are adopting out of Ethiopia. Not sure if you'll see this, but I hope it helps. Feel free to PM me anytime. I've done all of the research around here.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am in GA, but I can help with the tax credit question. In a nutshell:

The tax credit applies to domestic and international adoptions, but the procedure is not the same. Credit for expenses for international adoptions can be claimed only after finalization; for domestic adoptions, the credit can be applied even if the adoption does not go through.

The full credit can be taken for domestic special needs adoption even when the qualifying expenses don't reach that limit.

The credit of $10,960 is per child, not per year, so even if you claim expenses paid out over more than one year for one adoption, the total credit amount remains $10,960.

It is a credit against taxes you owe. This year I have 4 tax credits with 4 adoptions in 2009 all with varying amounts.

Have you looked at adopting through Social Services?
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
August 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Yes and I was told point blank that because of my dogs (pitties), we wouldn't be approved. Someone I know works for one of the tribes' social services and she says that they automatically say no to people who have "those" breeds (rotties, dobies, pitties, etc)

Thanks guys. I think we're going to hold off for now until I finish school and then start with the home study once I get a job. If that goes well (with the dogs), we'll go forward.

There is one agency in Tulsa that runs cheaper Chrisa but you have to agree to stay home for the first 5 years which I know I won't be doing since I'm going to work after graduating. It's a christian agency (Crisis Pregnancy Outreach)

Thanks for the Tax credit answer, that's what I was thinking.

August 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I know down here, in order to get a foster license, if you have one of "the breeds", its an auto disqualification even with a private agency, since the license requirements are the same.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

August 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
We've already talked about it and the dogs are part of the family so if that means we are out then we are out. To me it was a no-brainer from the start to be honest. I've taken these animals in and I'm going to care for them (I have a zoo ) They aren't disposable.

I'm going to get off my soap box : )

August 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw that one too and wouldn't even consider them. We cannot afford for me to stay home. I live in a good school district and if we didn't live here my step daughter wouldn't get to finish out high school where she is, so moving is not an option. Good luck with whatever you do! I already like you since you're an OSU fan! My dh went to college there!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
We've already talked about it and the dogs are part of the family so if that means we are out then we are out. To me it was a no-brainer from the start to be honest. I've taken these animals in and I'm going to care for them (I have a zoo ) They aren't disposable.

I'm going to get off my soap box : )
I am with you on this... Furbabies are a committment that you don't go back on.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search