Hey ladies!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Laura (23), wife to Dave (30) and SAHM to Lucas (2) & Laylah (16 months). They are 16 months apart.

DH and I would really like to adopt in the future, but we don't know much about the whole process.

So if you ladies could, any info and advice would be much appreciated!

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

June 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI! Welcome to our board!

I'm Beth, mommy to a beautiful little girl who lives at home with us and a beautiful little boy who lives in heaven. I'm also a VERY proud foster mom to a sweetheart little man who is 2 years old. DH and I decided to foster/adopt at the end of 2007 and we went the foster to adopt route through our local child services (DHR it is called here). It took us some time to get through the classes and do the paperwork and we were approved and had our little man home with us by the end of July 2008. He's probably going to be reunited with his birth family soon, but we've loved ever little moment of him.

I guess the first step is to discuss with your DH what type of adoption you would like to do. There is domestic private adoption (adoption of a baby, usually through an agency), domestic adoption through foster care (in this you can choose to foster to adopt - which means you won't officially know if you can adopt the kids when you get them - or straight adopt - which means you are adopting a child or sibling group out of foster care who are legally ready and available for adoption), or international adoption (LOTS of countries to choose from and they all have different sets of requirements).

Once you have decided that, start looking at agencies, requesting information, reading as much as you can. Some agencies have age requirements (and you might be a bit young for some of them yet). Others have lengthy processes that you must complete before being considered and you might want to start now to complete everything before you actually want to adopt.

I can tell you a lot about foster care and foster to adopt. But I'm VERY unfamilar with international adoption as we never considered that due to time and costs. But I do know there are many other ladies on this board who have adopted internationally.

Stick around, ask questions, KUP on your decisions and journey! We love to hear of other people interested in adoption!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
June 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! So much to think about. I know I'm a bit young still. I didn't really think about though since it would be at least a few years from now.

Ok I just went looking for age requirements. LOL! So far I've found 21. I was afraid it would be like 30 or something LOL! But it varies state by state and by agency.

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

Last edited by MamaTo2Ls; June 11th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
June 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think our requirement is 25 and I'm pretty sure that is fairly standard as the highest it'd be (like you said, many are just 21). That is, at least for domestic adoptions. I'm not sure about international.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search