Will homeschooling affect me being able to adopt or foster?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering if they would look down on homeschooling. Hope not.

June 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Depends on the state. GA will not allow foster kids to be homeschooled unless you can conclusively show that the school system failed to educate your child or the child is not able to attend school.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
June 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Interesting! I didn't know that. Is Georgia a state that requires any sort of accountability from homeschooling parents? (Testing, registration, etc.?) Texas is a very relaxed state when it comes to homeschooling. I don't know about adoption, but I do know that we'll be homeschooling our kids.
June 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I found out with our oldest daughter whom we adopted earlier this year, that foster kids need to attend school while in the care of foster parents. This was part of the havoc trying to enroll her in public school. Her previous foster mom had home schooled her w/out the worker knowing about it with a faith based curriculum. T's test scores were 2.5 grades below where she should have been.

I do know that we had to provide a copy of school enrollment to the kids' workers once they were enrolled into school. All of our kids even as fosters attended private schools that met their needs. We were very lucky to find one that met our Teen's needs, because my only other option was homeschooling for her; since the school system here wanted me to put a barely 14 year old kid on a bus to take the train into the city to be met by another bus to go to an alternative school, and here is a monthly train/bus pass....

Once you adopt, do as you please...but check on homeschooling during the foster parent process to make sure that your not breaking any rules...
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

June 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ahhhhhh! Ok. Yes, I could see them wanting public schooling during the foster stage. That totally makes sense, and in some sense, I actually agree. After the adoption, though, I don't think any state can tell you what to do if it's something different than a bio kid.
June 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
The workers were more than OK with the private schools we chose; mainly with the smaller class size it allowed all of our kiddos to catch up in areas that they were behind in academically.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

June 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Homeschooling is also getting more popular here. Here are the requirements for this state:

Georgia State Laws

A few of the chartered high schools that have popped up here also have kids who were homeschooled and they do tailor individual learning plans for them with some coursework from BYU to give them the documented coursework and hours they need to comply with state graduation requirements.

I had only started looking into this because of our experience with Traci, but I am very glad we found a place for her at a local private school.

It is something I may consider down the line for the youngest 3 when I finish my Masters.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search