Question about fostering a baby

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does the state pay for the childs diapers and formula or does that come out of the money they give you to foster? I wasnt sure if they were on medicaid or wic. I wasnt sure how that worked.

July 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Foster kiddos are usually on their states Medicaid plan, that is for kiddos who are placed from DFACS or another licensed child services agency where the child was born in the state, not international adoption/fosters.

Foster parents are usually given a daily rate of reimbursement for having the child in your home. In GA the rate is reimbursed according to the age of the child: birth to 5, $12.75; 6-12, $13.50; 13 and above, $14.25. The check came monthly with a one month delay.

The check stops once you adopt, and in some cases so does the state Medicaid.

Foster kiddos in my state do not get WIC. It is up to the foster family to be able to provide for that child's needs. Basically, if you cannot afford formula and diapers, and have money issues in the household, that would be a determining factor in receiving a foster license.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
July 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I just wasnt sure how it worked. We dont have money issue or of course we would not be looking into fostering. I just was not sure how it worked until you actually did adopt. I dont know what they provide as we have never done it before.
There really isnt a whole lot of detailed info out there to get. I wish they were alittle more informative about what is expected and what is provided.

Maybe they will go into more detail during the classes we have to take.

Thanks

July 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In Alabama our kiddos do get WIC automatically. They are considered a "household of one" while in foster care, so our income does not come into play until they are adopted.

For diapers, we buy those from our monthly board payment. Our local DHR office gets some diapers donated and will give those out to us as they have them. We also get a little bit of money for clothing (I think it is $100 when they come here and $50 a year after that). At Christmas we get a little extra money too. So they take good care of us here.

It varies GREATLY from state to state.

You might call the person you've been speaking with about information and ask if there is a foster parent who might be willing to speak to you. We have a bunch in our county who will do that for new foster parents and foster parents to be. They'd know specifics about your area.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Oh that sounds very helpful. I am in Tx so maybe there is someone on here from Tx that knows how Tx handles these things.

I will see if I can contact the lady that did the info meeting and ask her about it.

Thank so much.

July 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I found an article about this exact thing. Any child in Tx that is on Medicad does get WIC. So babies will be able to get formula through wic if they are a foster child. So thought I would post this link in case someone else has these same questions. Older children can get food through wic. This is good to know they get some kind of assistance till they are adopted. Here is the link to the article. Pros and Cons of WIC - Adoption - Families.com

July 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a member of another board that deals with foster care. I know a number of the people on there are from Texas. You might also check it out. It's not a "relational" as this one is, but they are all very knowledgable.

Click here!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you still thinking of an international or a domestic adoption?
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search