What happens during a home study?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering what to expect during the home study. This would be for foster care. Also does anyone know how much the health inspections and Fire inspections cost?

Thanks

July 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In Alabama we didn't have to have a fire inspection. We did have to have physicals and TB tests for every in the house... I'm not sure if that is what you mean... but those cost just our normal copay at our doctor's office.

The home study is fairly simple. They will check to be sure that you have all medications locked up (we put ours in a toolbox with a keyed master lock on it). That you have your chemicals out of reach of children (in Alabama we just have ours behind a child lock under our sink and on high shelves in the garage). They make sure you have the house generally safe. Child proofing measures like locks on the doors, outlet covers, and the hot water isn't set too hot. We also had to have smoke detectors, fire ladders (on the second floor) and fire extinguishers near the exits.

I cleaned like crazy the entire house. Made sure the flower beds and yard looked wonderful. Picked up all my daughter's toys. All that stuff. But none of it was really necessary. She just wanted to see that our house would be safe for children. The major cleaning wasn't necessary.

We also had our interviews during the homestudy. The worker asked us a TON of questions about our lives. We were separate during those interviews too. I think that's pretty common.

Pretty well everyone I have ever spoken to has said their homestudy freaked them out before it happened but once it was done they wondered why they'd ever worried. Hope that helps!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
Everything she just said!

Good Luck, hon!

July 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Remember clean and neat is good, sterile and unfriendly to kiddos...not go good....
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
July 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Generally Crispy
I didnt pay anything for any inspections. All where at no cost. The state inspection was the one I was most concerned about. I think the biggies where pools and guns. Everything else was pretty basic. Just safety issues that should probably be done in anyones home that has small children. I too stressed over it. But after it was done I could breathe a sigh of relief.

The study was more like background info gathered on our family thru interviews. The compiled into like a 16 page packet about us. We actually got copies of the study and went thru it and found all kinds of errors. Some being big errors which had to be corrected. If you can request a copy of your study, I would.

We are actually up for recertification and not stressed at all.
July 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks ladies!!!

Nessy, are you the same Nessy that use to be on the TTC board? If so I remember you and had been thinking about how you were. I couldnt remember your due date. You may not be the same one though. LOL

July 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Generally Crispy
Yep! Same person. I delovered 4/28 (kind of a scary thing) about 5 weeks early, Eclipse had a very short (3days) NICU stay but both were released to go home with me.

How have you been? Its ironic I was thinking of you the other day too. I saw the name but wasnt sure either.
July 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Oh I am so glad. Your babies are beautiful!!! We lost our baby last month at 11 w 6days but I didnt miscarry till I would of been 14wks. Its been hard and we are thinking of adoption but still want to ttc in the future.

Its great all went well with the babies. So happy for you!!! PM me if you like.

August 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Generally Crispy
Im so sorry for your loss Brandi. I know how hard you were trying. We also had a devistating loss right before the twins.

I'll PM you.
August 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
It is hard. I am sorry for your loss as well. It is really a devastating thing to go through and I wouldnt want my worst enemy to go through it.

So are you fostering right now too?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search