Looking for Some Support

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Veteran
Hi, I am Marie...I am looking for some support and guidance I am a 23, going on 24 year old. I have been married for almost 4 years and my husband and I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to conceive for almost 4 years. I have PCOS and he has a colostomy (since age 2, from birth defect not cancer). After trying everything in our power we have decided on adopting. We live in Kentucky and are starting the process this Thursday at our first orientation meeting. We both love kids and are very excited, and nervous Just wondering if anyone else is in my area and planning to attend the state SNAP Program meeting as well. Any tips, info, stories will be greatly appreciated.
July 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME! I'm not from there. I just wanted to say hello. My TTC story has also been difficult, and the two living children I have are only here by the grace of God. I'm really hoping to adopt a couple of older children someday. For a while, I thought my hubby was convinced, but now he's happy with the two we have. I dunno...
July 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Veteran
My whole life I've been thr rescuer...I am an an avid animal lover and take in the unwanted I guess God's plan for children shall follow that example. I am starting to accept the calling...
July 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Beth. I've been a foster paretn for a year now. I have one living biological daughter and one son who was stillborn and then my sweet foster son who has been with us for a year. We are hoping to adopt through foster care eventually.

What is SNAP? I've not heard of that one.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Veteran
SNAP is the Kentucky Special Needs Adoption Program in the Department for Community Based Services, the state's public child welfare agency. It was created in response to the increasing number of children who were spending too long in care without a permanent foster home. The children they deal with have been moved around a lot (a lot of people around here take advantage of foster care subsidies and don't actually use the money for the kids) they have emotional traumatization and sometimes have been physically abused. My husband grew up ina home where he and his sister were abused...mostly sexually. With counselling he has become a better person, and we feel it would best since we can't have children of our own to help out a child that may be in the same position or similiar situation needing extra care. I have been without a job for almost 6 months, it's very difficult to find jobs in my town because it is so rural, but we have been doing well and learning to budget and make a living, and have even found we could support another person!!!
So I can be a stay at home mother! I also think that would be very beneficial to a special needs child as well. We have a very nice home with 3 empty bedrooms and a lot of love in our hearts. I do believe this is God's plan for my family
July 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome!! SN kids are not easy at all, but it's so rewarding when you see that little breakthrough after years of working. I wish you guys the best! I hope you can find a great child psychologist in your area who works with kids in these situations and can work with you guys too!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Veteran
Already doing my research on the psychologist
August 5th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Marie! We are just in the planning stages of adoption, but I enjoy reading about everyones experiences and planning for the future. I hope your orientation went well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search