Tonight's the night

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Veteran
Tonight is our orientation. I am so excited!!! I am just curious about everyone else's experiences, please feel free to share. What all do you do in an orientation? I know it's like initial paper work and making sure you're truly interested and committed. What was your beginning steps?
July 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had a class called MAPP training that we had to do. On the first night of orientation it was VERY simple. Come in, fill out paperwork, hear about your teachers and how class would work and leave. We met a few of our classmates that night too, and that was fun.

The classes were every week for 10 weeks and 3 hours long each week. We had so much fun in them though. I loved learning all the stuff and working through all the exercises together. During that time we had a TON of paperwork and other stuff we had to get done. We had our physicals (for everyone in the house), fingerprints, fringerprints on our family (who would be babysitting regularly), and paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. We also got our homestudies and interviews done during that class time. So when our worker came out to do our last home study and final interviews she told us about our sweet foster son who we met two days later and he moved in 2 weeks after that.

It's truly a blessing!

Are you guys looking to straight adopt or foster to adopt or what?

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
July 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Veteran
I'd definitely prefer to adopt but am thinking about adopting and fostering too. We have 3 extra bedrooms and we love kids. After spending the past 2 years crying and being so hurt and angry with God for not being able to get pregnant, one day I came across some information on fostering and foster care adoptions and I had always been under the assumption that to adopt you had to spend a small fortune. We are by no means "rich", we can support ourselves and have some extra money along the way but I didn't know there were assistance programs and so much help out there. I always planned on having a big family with 4-6 kids, and I'm seeing now that I am meant to have my dream family...just not in the way I expected. We tried everything imaginable but decided against invasive procedures. Since I was young I've always been very motherly...my mother laughs at me me because when I was in first grade I came home in the dead of winter without a coat, when she asked me where my coat had went I explained to her than there was this girl in my class and that her family was poor and she didn't have a coat...so I gave her mine. I would give anyone anything if I thought deep down that they needed it. I'm still like that. I am very excited about tonight, I've been counting down the days to orientation
July 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
That's why we decided on foster care as well! Finding a lump sum of money for private adoption probably isn't happening, but adoption through foster care is a great way to grow your family I think. I might be a little biased too though.

We decided to foster to adopt and foster only. It isn't easy to say goodbye (we are in the process now) but I would much rather these kids know they are loved beyond measure while they are with us and me to grieve than for them to have to be put into harms way.

July 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Veteran
That is something that they can all take away from your home too. Knowing that someone, somewhere loves them and that the whole world hasn't turned their backs on them. It takes a very special person to be a foster parent I am in the process of making a (children's) book about adoption, something special for when we finally do get to bring a child home that shows him/her that we have been waiting for them and that this home is their forever home. I also plan on doing a Life Book for any child i adopt or foster. I came across the idea on an adoption forum blog. I feel its very important for a child to know his/her roots and about their life story. Only two more hours til our orientation...gosh I'm so excited!!!!
July 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is this just the first day of the classes you have to take? Our classes start the end of August. I feel nervous but excited as well.

I have not heard anything since putting in our application though. Is that normal? I asked her to let me know when she got the app but have heard nothing.

We also cant afford a ton of money to adopt so thought this would be our way. I wonder if its very expensive to do an adoption outside of the agency and then just hire an attorney for the paperwork? Anyone know?

Have fun at your classes.

July 31st, 2009, 04:10 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It can be pricey Brandimom, that was one of the options we looked at as well.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
July 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran
Fostering to adopt run $0-2,500 and you can be eligible for assistance. That's why we opted the way we did. Thursday was the orientation where we learned what was needed to proceed with paper work and next Thursday we start our 10 week courses. The only thing I am concerned with is how they will deal with my pets. I love my pets very much often pet sit as I have relatives that leave town a lot and it's some extra pocket money for me. All of my animals are kid friendly...neices and newphews tested and approved LOL. We have to make a special scrapbook for the social worker so I think I will put pictures of the kiddos with my animals in to show them they are truly kid friendly. Anyone else have any adoption experiences with pets and homestudies? I have 3 chihuahuas and two cats (and 3 other chihuahuas that I sit regularly). Any reassurance would be grately appreciated!
July 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM
My puppies are inside dogs. One is a border collie (medium sized dog) and the other is a minischnauzer. They are both sweet. The only thing they looked at regarding the animals was that they were clean, well taken care of, not too crazy (jumping and such) and had up to date shots. I think they loved that we did have animals as that's a fun thing for a lot of kids.

However, know that you obviously wouldn't be placed with kids who were allergic to those animals (cats I'm guessing). But that just wouldn't be a good match anyway.

July 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
Veteran
I very much agree. I think a kid would be in heaven with all of our little critters not to mention the connection that most of the pets are rescues and were orphans once themselves...something a kid can relate to and find comfort in the fact that we LOVE and WILL KEEP him/her/them as we have the animals that that were once in their situation. I love kids, but I love my animals too Children and animals are the greatest joys in life...both so innocent and sweet and heart.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search