New with a question...

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Veteran
Hi ladies,

My name is Hillarie (Call me Hill please) I'm 27 yrs old married to the love of my life (Pete 28yrs) for 9 years this past summer. Yeah we got married early! We started ttc after 6 months of marriage, because both of us wanted a large family. Well, it didn't work. We've had a multitude of miscarriages and now are unable to conceive at all! My RE just scratches his head and tells us to try IVF. Well, In my heart I'm not really into it. You see I really just want kids, not neccesarily my own, and not neccesarily infants either... I REALLY enjoy kids around 2 yrs and older... Infants while adorable and so perfect just don't have that personality spark yet. (I think)
Anyway, I want to adopt and my DH is 100% on board because he wants kids just as much as I do! We are financially secure and own our own home on 5 acres in the country. We bought a home with 4 bedrooms hoping to fill it with children!
Here's the catch... I fear we wont pass a homestudy...
We have 7 dogs, 8 cats, 2 goats, 2 horses and a bunny... I am a veterinary technician and through the course of my job I have been given the blessing of caring for these special needs animals. Each one has unique special needs and care requirements which my DH and I are equipped to handle. None of them is behavioral though all are medical needs... All love children and do quite well with my nieces and nephews who come stay with me for 3-4 weeks in the summer. I would LOVE to be a mommy and Pete would love to be a daddy... but HONESTLY (And do be brutal) we would never pass the homestudy would we?
August 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I may be wrong (I'm fairly new to the process), but I don't think that's a problem at ALL. The only people I've ever heard (... and this was on TV...) who had a problem with pets were ones who adopted from certain Asian countries, because they don't view pets as part of the family like we do. The case workers told them not to include any pet pictures in the portfolio they built, that's all.

Personally, I think you'd be at an advantage. Showing your ability to care for special needs "anything", not just children, shows that you have a level of care available that not all families can provide. There are lots of age 2+ children out there, because there are lots of "I want a perfect newborn" families out there.

... hey, I see you're in SA. I'm in Austin! Howdy!
August 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Veteran
Yay...someone like me!!! I rescue animals too, lol and was concerned about my pets. I've been told as long as the animals are healthy,happy, and UTD on vaccinations and stuff and kid friendly it wasn't a problem...the only thing would be you wouldn't be chosen for a child with allergies or if you adopted a child and it developed allergies would you be willing to part with those animals if you were unable to find a middle ground (allergy meds, putting pets outside, that sort of thing). We're in the beginning process of classes and getting ready for home study, if you'd like I could give you my email address and we could help each other as we go
August 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All we had to do was provide shot and vet records. Our worker met and "interviewed" each one of our pets to determine if they were "vicious". Welcome!
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
August 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What an awesome home to raise children in! Good luck to you
August 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I think it would more than fine. As long as the home is clean and not too crowded, the pets are nice to children and strangers, they are all up to date on their shots and well cared for, you will be just fine!

I'm a foster mommy and hope to adopt one day too. Welcome to the board!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Veteran
Wow!! Thanks for all the responses ladies!! I feel renewed! I'm going to keep looking at these guys as a positive! They've always been a positive to me hopefully a social worker will see them as a positive as well!

I've been fretting about this for months now convincing myself there was no chance on earth that any social worker would approve us... I LOVE our house and pets and my family loves our house and pets but most people hear the amt of pets and shut down completely. It's cleaner than most would imagine though we do battle litter box smell from time to time! But we have a separate room for the litter boxes and it's behind a baby gate so no little explorers can go searching!

Marie I'd love your e-mail addy! Mine is Hillarie@me.com I'd love to chat with you!

Howdy to you Bensmom! We actually live in Floresville which is just south of San Antonio and LOVE it out here!! LOVE IT!
August 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only thing I can think of that may hold you back is if all of the animals where living in the house and they felt it was unsanitary. But other than that I would think it would be a plus as well. Hope it all works out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search