What should I do?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were not able to attend our first training class because my husband broke his foot that day. Then we were not able to attend the second class because our sitter cancelled. I has left messages and sent an email asking if we could still come since we missed 2. No response so I assumed we could not come. I sent her and email stated what I has assumed and to please let me know when the next class was going to start so that I could find a reliable sitter. I have left 2 or 3 messages and 2 emails asking when the next classes will be held. No response. Now I am worried that she think we are unreliable because we couldnt come to the first 2 classes. I hope she understands they were really out of our control.

What should I do since I cant get any response? How will I know when the next class is or what she is thinking? I hate to keep on calling after not getting a response. What should I do now?

September 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Veteran
I would try to contact someone else in the office and ask. I know in KY our instructor said that you could miss TWO classes and still do make up but after that it was sorry about your luck. Keep calling and be persistant until someone will hear you. I had to do that because no one would tell us when/where the classes were so I called them 3x daily until the told me
September 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks. I was reading over my post. Sorry about all the mispelled words. LOL I really dont talk like that. I guess I was typing to fast. LOL

I will try and call someone else. Thanks

September 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately the attitudes of some of the workers/CM's we came across were if you don't do this when we tell you, your really not serious about adoption.

I would go to their office and visit face to face with her and have in hand Hubby's discharge paperwork from the ER (since it will have a time stamp on it) that should suffice as proof. Also ask to speak to the workers boss. Leave out the bit of could not find a sitter (they really do not care) and the 2 of you will make a better impression than just you going.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
September 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
I actually just heard back from her. Yeah!!! I found out when the next class is but its on a Monday night this time and I have 3 other things going on Monday nights in the month. I have no idea what to do about that.

Does your area only offer one class and one day/time? They sould have several choices in my opinion. I guess we are not suppose to have a life either. LOL

September 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly if it were me, move your other 3 commitments, and both you and hubby attend to show a united front for the classes. That was stressed to us from day one from our first worker.

Because if you have so much going on that you cannot attend a class when one is offered, it will stick in their minds that you may not have time for a child's needs. If it sounds harsh, that was not my intent, that was the attitude we picked up from our worker we dealt with.

Classes are limited here, and I live in a populated area. It is a new series every other month for the classes for newbies. Refresher classes were in a preferred time slot, but we did not get access to those until we went for our refresher.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
September 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have two trainings each year. One is usually on Sunday afternoons and the other is a night during the week. It's for 10 weeks... 3 hours each class. You can only miss one or you have to repeat the process.

I'd change the committments too.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Speaking from the other side, it would appear that you didn't care. But you should try and find one of the caseworkers who is most understanding and explain the situations, or even ask when the next classes would start so you can go from the beginning. (This is not to say you would def have to do this, but it's just a demonstration of how much you care, and that you just had some problems.) Next time when you get a sitter have a back up sitter in case something happens. Life happens, and case/social workers should understand that. Most of the country/world is hurting so much for good foster and adoptive parents that I'm sure once it's cleared up everything will be ok.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search