Grrrr....so frustrated!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Veteran
Last night was our ninth class. We thought we were close to "the end", now they are telling us it will be 3 to 6 months before we are approved for even foster care. We did approach the instructor after class about "our boy", she said he was a very special case and if need be they could speed our process along to get him in an adoptive home. He's had over 50 placements that have failed. We told them we do not expect him "to get better" and they really kept that in mind. We definitely still have a chance with him. She did say regardless they are waiting until close to Christmas to decide on a placement. They are weeding out the "we want him because he's young and cute" people. I totally understand that. I am just so anxious. We did decide to do foster care for younger kids, and will do respit until we are able to get things rolling. She said they are really behind and backed up. Our S.W. knows about Dakota and our interest and she's pushed us to the top to complete our homestudy. So that really rocks. I just did not expect a 3-6 month delay though Anyone else go through a delay on approval?
October 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard of people waiting as long as a year for their approval. It depends on the workers and how motivated they are to get your home approved. Nothing ever goes fast with the department. Get ready for that for sure!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
October 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Veteran
Lovely. It does seem like they are pushing our homestudy on a bit faster than others in our class since we expressed interest in a autistic child that they have had a HARD TIME finding a permanent placement.
October 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Jessa78's Avatar Super Mommy
Our SW originally told us to allow 9 months to a year from the start of classes to approval for placement, and we had to wait five months for the next class. I called her so many times before class that she sent me the 25 pages of essay questions just to give me something to do. When we got them back in the mail (typed and burned to a CD so she could copy/paste into her files) less than 72 hours after she sent them out, I think she knew then we were serious. She asked for our fingerprints; we stopped by the sheriff's office on our lunch break. She needed six references; we faxed them back to her that same night. She asked for updated physicals; we made appointments for 9AM the very next morning. It didn't matter what it was, she got it ASAP. I called her to tell her that I'd received it and then I called her back to tell her we'd returned it. Once classes started, I called her every single Friday morning just to check in. I emailed her after every class. I stalked that poor woman and our entire Homestudy (personal interviews, home inspection, all paperwork, everything) was completed the day after our last class.

She said she hadn't met a couple who wanted it as badly as we did in a very long time. She was amazing (and brutally overworked) but she's emailed me since to say she misses our conversations - and to ask us if we're ready to take in another child yet. She even checks in on our Photobucket account from time to time just to see how we're doing.

Don't give up, hon! I'll be keeping you and your little boy in my T&P.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search