Is adoption ALWAYS crazy expensive?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Adoption is something that has been close to my heart for years...I would love to add to our family via adoption someday. But everything I've read online points to it being a terribly expensive process - which definitely excludes us for the foreseeable future. We're financially able to add another child to our family, but not to spend thousands upon thousands in the process. Is this *always* the case? If not, can someone point me to some good info to read about it? Maybe I'm just finding the wrong stuff!
March 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Adoption can be very expensive. You should call around to agencies in your area to see how much their fees are. They vary a lot from place to place. However, if you go through the foster care system it is often paid for by the state. Also keep in mind that there is a tax credit for adoption fees. It was up to 10,000 when we adopted my daughter, but I think it might be a little more now.

March 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Super cheap to free to adopt a child through the foster system. Depends on if you are dead set on a baby or if you don't mind adopting a child who might be a few years old.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
March 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
depends on how you do it. Up here in Canada, international will cost roughly $10-20k, private agencies roughly $8k, the twins' adoption last year was a private direct adoption (family found us) and through a lawyer it cost us $2k, and Elizabeth was our last adoption last month and we did it all ourselves and it cost us $215.
I think the big costs come in paying "head-hunters" and legal fees. If you can find your own child, and the parents agree to sign consents for adoption, I think its alot cheaper. I know nothing about fostering since we didn't do that at all.
March 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies. DH and I have only really discussed international adoption, but everything I read about them require thousands of dollars and tons of travel. That doesn't seem to be an option for us. I have considered fostering, but I'm not sure I could stand the heartbreak of letting the child go when it was time...
March 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As far as I've read, international adoption is the most expensive by far. There are many fees that go into adopting adopting internationally. There are many organizations that can help offset the costs and many people do fundraisers for the money as well.

Foster care is where my heart is. It's hard to say goodbye (I just had to say goodbye to a sibling set of 3 I had for a number of months). But at the same time I love to see how they grow and change as they are in my home. They have stability and love and their family has time to get themselves together and provide a much better home for them. But you CAN adopt straight from foster care. In other words, there are many children waiting to be adopted already. They are what is called "free for adoption" at this time, so you don't have to worry about them being "taken away." It's just another option to look into.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
March 5th, 2010, 04:20 PM
KatieJL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatieJL
We've been considering adoption for a while, and the more I looked into it the more I was convinced to go with Foster care/adoption. We have an agency locally that works with finding foster parents, specifically for toddlers and infants. They provide training and support, and their goal is for the child to stay with one family the entire time they are in foster care. Their website says about 50% of the children end up going back the their birth parents, the other half are adopted, and if you want to adopt a child you foster, the agency assists you. I'm not sure if there are places like this were you live, but it may be worth looking into.

edited to add a link: Angels Foster Family Network of San Diego
this is the San Diego one, which I guess is the original. They may have info about similar programs in other parts of the country.

Last edited by KatieJL; March 5th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
March 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM
We adopted and the agency that we went through worked on a sliding scale. So depending on how much you make would determine the amount you pay. We also got a grant for 3,000 which helped a lot! We spent a lot of time jumping through all of the hoops for each grant board but it was worth it in the end.
April 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
dreamer10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am just lurking here because I am an adopted child and I like to read about mom's that adopt because my bio mom died before we could have a real conversation...sadly. Long story anyway.

Well...I know of one agency that has very reasonable pricing for adoption ...the LDS church. I am not sure if you need to be a member to apply but I do know that my friend is a member and she adopted twice through the church and they only required 10% of a years income to do it. So...ie: if you make 60,000 a year then it would cost 6 thousand....and not all at once if I know correctly. I am not completely sure on the details but that's what I understand.....

Good luck...adoption is a wonderful and amazing thing. I would know, but only from the adopted childs perspective...

Our rainbow baby Brynlee Sue was born August 17th after four heartbreaking loses! Life is an amazing journey. Hang on, keep your faith and try to always move forward!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search