Foster to adopt?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Since my husband has been more open to the idea of adopting, we have decided that if we do, we will adopt an older child. I am kind of confused about what "foster to adopt" means.

I read on a website about adoption in my area and it said that going through DCS directly was literally thousands cheaper than going through an agency. To go through DCS do we need to also be foster parents?

Sorry if my wording was strange, I am having a hard time putting my thoughts together, lol. *Sigh* Adoption sure is confusing!
May 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In my state you can be certified as a foster parent. You can also go through DCFS and let them know you want to foster to adopt. They will usually then only contact you if there is a situation where adoption is likely, but never certain.

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

May 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Thank you so much! I do have another question- If we go through an agency is there still a chance that the adoption cannot/will not happen?

Last edited by megangreco; May 16th, 2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Forgot a question...
May 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is always a chance it won't happen. If you do private domestic adoption through an agency, the biological parents could change their minds at birth. It isn't as common as some TV shows and such make it out to be, but it can happen.

I'm a foster to adopt and foster parent. I chose this route because I always wanted to foster and adoption through this route seemed most reasonable if we get a child in our home whom we want to adopt when that child needs a permanent home.

So basically, in our state we are licensed foster parents. Kids who need emergency placements of just a few days, long term placements of months or those who look like they are going to need a permanent home come into our home. We do not look at kids who are already free for adoption in the foster care system (although we could) this is called "straight adoption through the foster system." It is the most guaranteed route of adoption you can get. If the child is already free for adoption, there is no chance that the biological family can get that child back and once you are placed with that child it's completely up to you and the child if you want to adopt him or her.

Our son was placed with us in July 2008. His case looked like it was heading toward adoption and his current foster parents were strictly foster parents... not adoptive. So he was moved to our home since we were foster to adopt. In August 2008, right after we changed his goal from reunification to concurrent planning of reunification and adoption by current foster parents, his biological father finally decided to get a paternity test to prove he was dad. Then they started looking into biological father's family as potential placement options. Biological mother had chosen long before to not be a part of his life at all. We recently (on March 15) did TPR trial (Terminate Parental Rights trial). We are awaiting a judgment. If they TPR, they have 2 weeks to file an appeal and then we wait on a judgment from that (another 6-9 months). This particular case seems to drag on longer than most, but it just shows the uncertainty.

I certainly don't want to discourage you! In fact I think foster to adopt is the BEST way to go about expanding your family, but I'm a little prejudiced.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
May 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the explanation We have definitely decided to take the foster to adopt route if we do adopt.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search