fostering to adopt ?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
fostering to adopt ?

i am just looking on some info from people who have been through this,
me and hubby have been wanting to have more kids since our daughter was born 6 years ago, we have came to conclusion with my high risk , that maybe we should foster, and hopefully adopt, as we love kids, and just having more children in our life weather our own or not bio is something we want. we have such a loving family, and so much to give. it seems a shame to not try give some children a good loving caring stable home,.

i heard that you can often foster and than some children get a option to adopt. im wanting to know what type of foster care this is that the option may a rise in, ( we from Australia)
also if its better to go through the government child services or a independent company like Barnardo.

we are little overwhelmed with all the info online. and not sure where to start
and im wondering should i be striate up when interviewed etc about wanting the chance to one day adopt or try fostering than ask about it ?

so many questions..
i really not sure where to start with them all, i know with fostering the goal is to get them back with their family, we know they will not be with us forever, but just to give a child a great family for a short time will be so worth it..

so where do i start, and how should i go about it. if the end goal is to adopt ,, we also might do it very long term we want a big family, and have enough room for a few , and more than enough love for many
thanks in advance for any info and help
May 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a foster to adopt mommy, but in the US. I'm not sure how laws are different in Australia, so you would probably need to call your local office to find out.

I work with our local DHR (department of Human Resources) which is the place that takes care of all children who come into custody of the state for whatever reason. Those children are called "foster children." We had to take classes and do many checks on ourselves and our home in order to be foster parents.

We are what is called a "foster home" and a "foster to adopt" home. The foster home status allows us to take in children on an emergency placement. In other words, we've gotten calls at midnight saying, "We need a home for this child for 3 days, we're coming now." Our foster to adopt home status allows us to take children who look like they will need a permanent home. In other words if this child's parents are not doing what is needed and it looks like this child will never be able to return to them, or if the situation is very bad in the home, they might put that child with us on the basis that IF the child needs a permanent home we can adopt. That isn't a guarentee that we will adopt, but it's better than moving them all over creation.

I'd contact whatever office takes care of foster children in your area and just ask. I would never lie about any intention you have. Just be honest, that you want to adopt, but you are willing to do whatever is necessary to help that child (including saying goodbye if it is in their best interest).

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
June 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
xanada101's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to xanada101 Send a message via Yahoo to xanada101
Thank you for this information. I have been considering foster-adopt as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search