new here

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello!
Can I join you guys? My name is Jenn. My husband and I just started the process of becoming foster-to-adopt parents through our local dept. of social services. and wow! there is so much more to it than I thought! It will be nice to be able to get advice and encouragement from people who have been there before.
I thought this was going to be easier, emotionally, than it has been. It never occured to us not to be foster parents, it was in the plans from the start. but then I got pregnant and it was put on hold. then I miscarried and the time was just right to get the process started, ya know? but now my husband has been diagnosed OCD and the dr. wants him to wait 6 months to give the meds time to work before fostering kids. we have just started the application so there are other things we can work on in the meantime but still!!!
so anyway, I'm glad this board is here.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
October 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Hello and Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!! I originally started the foster process when my foster coordinator suggested it (I was talking to her because I am in the process of adopting my nephew). At that point I decided to get my license and keep it up to date and then start fostering in a couple of years. But I guess God had different plans. I got my license in May and in June my niece and other nephew came back into care. (They have been in and out of care since they were very young and were always placed with me as a Kinship). So I was very glad to have my license!!!
TPR has just been done on my littlest and the other two are still up in the air. And my sister (all of their bio mom) is pregnant once again so who knows what the future will hold.
So my suggestion would to be go ahead with the license and just ask not be be put on the list of open foster families until your husband is comfortable with his new meds (sometimes it takes time to find the right med at the right dose). Good luck with everything and I hope you will keep us updated as to what you decide.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
October 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! Welcome to the board!! I'm Beth. I have three living kids and one in heaven. My middle child is our foster son. He's been with us for over two years and we are his only family, so although the law doesn't say so, he's our son.

From the time we applied to the county to the time we finally got licensed was 7 months. And we did everything VERY fast according to people here. So it can't hurt to get things done while getting meds under control. Do you have to take MAPP or PRIDE classes? Those usually take a while and the paperwork is a ton of stuff to do.

It is totally worth it in the end though! I look forward to following your story!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
October 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
HI and welcome! I hope that you are able to get things straightened out with your husband and get on the road to parenthood very soon!

Good luck with the process, it's long and hard but SOOO worth it!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

October 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks everyone! So far Rob is doing very well on his meds. A few nights ago was the first night he ever walked up the stairs without counting them!!
I'm not sure what kind of classes we'll have to take. eek! I am very very new to this process...
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

October 31st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Hello and Welcome! I am a foster to adopt mommy! I have only done respite twice..we just got licensed to adopt last week! its so rewarding! I feel i am rewarded more then the children! I know that it takes a special person to do this..its an amazing feeling! The class was great! I wish you the very best and hope that time flies for you! HUGS!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
November 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
txjovigal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to txjovigal Send a message via Yahoo to txjovigal
HI Jen!

I am Esmy and DH is Tony. We are in the process of adopting thru the State.

You might consider starting the process now, cuz it takes awhile for you to finish all the paperwork. We started our process in June with an interview and got a whole lot of forms to fill out and classes to take.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

working on my 3rd, for sure by 11/15/11
November 2nd, 2010, 12:40 PM
thanks girls!
So far I have gotten all of our reference forms done, and I have my statement from the dr. saying I'm ok to take care of kids, waiting on background check and the OK from Robs dr. saying his meds are working. So, I have a few things started I know its just the tip of the iceburg though..
Rob is doing wonderfully on his new meds btw I'm so happy he's doing better and keeping my fingers crossed that things will go good for him at the dr. in a couple months. that'll be a big barrier out of the way. Yay!
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search