Need help making a list for tomorrow!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Veteran
What questions should I ask the teachers and the foster father? I have the basics: what is his daily schedule/routine, has he made any progress since his arrival, has the death of the foster mother affected him in any way...if you have any suggestions please feel free to throw them out there to me
November 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
For an autie: Is he on the gfcf diet? What interventions/therapies are in place? Get a copy of his IEP to look over it. Ask about triggers for meltdowns. What have they found to be the most effective to calm him during meltdowns? What are the doing/planning on doing to make the transition to your home as easy as possible for him? Maybe they can may some social stories to read to him daily to help him.

Is the little boy verbal? If not, what methods of communication are they using? Sign? PECS?

My best friend's little one is autistic. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
November 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In addition to what Augie says (those are really important for autistic children) I'd ask,
-What are his favorite things? Does he like TV, does he like being hugged tightly, does he like certain foods?
- What things make him really angry or scared?
- What are some ways you've found to help him cope with certain things?
- What are some ways you've found to cope with his behaviors?
- What type of bed does he sleep in? Is it a twin bed with rails, a mattress on the floor, what? Many kids have a really hard time sleeping in a different bed and if you can make it comfortable for him, that might ease his transition.
- Does he sleep well? How many hours? What is his typical bedtime routine? Does he wet the bed? If so, how do you deal with that (make him help change it, just clean him up and do it all yourself, what?)? Anything else about bedtime that I need to know?
- How do mealtimes go? Does he enjoy eating? Does he eat too much or too little? Does he hate certain foods? How do you get him to try new things? Does he have to have a certain type of food at a certain meal (my son will only eat a particular type of waffles in the morning. If we run out he flips and it makes for a horrible day.)?
- Are there certain types of people he gets along better with than another? (Like, perhaps he doesn't do well with men at first, but women he connects to quicker)
- Is there anything he is super attached to (a blanket, a bear, a jacket)? Is there a certain book that he wants read over and over? Is there a certain song he adores and always calms him down when you sing it or play it?

Those are a few things I think of right off the top of my head. Your questions sound great too and definitely ask them!!

My sweet foster son who is autistic has stayed with one other person before. I needed her to ask these questions, because his behaviors have become second nature to me and I forget they are SO much different than the standard 3 year old's behaviors.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Last edited by SarahBethsMommy; November 8th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
November 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran
Wow...I'd never even thought of some of those questions! JM soooo needs an autism board! And I have a really good idea on who should be host/co-hosts! LOL. Beth, Augie...I think you guys are going to be my lifelines here for resource information if everything goes as planned and we bring this little guy home. I had no clue about GFCF Diets! Now that I looked it up it makes a lot of sense...and considering he eats doritos very often, I doubt he is on the diet. Do either of you use it with your kiddos? Does it really make that much of a difference? I'm very interested in learning more about it! Might be something to consider with him.
November 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
They are using it for M. It makes a HUGE difference. Gluten especially. As a toddler/preschooler she had cut wheat out thinking he had had an allergic reaction to it. At that time he had started doing really well but we didn't make the connection. EI had just started too. Once they ruled out an allergy and gave him wheat again all the behaviors came back...worse than before. After some convincing she cut it out again and he's been doing better.

Also, ask about food aversions. M for longest time wouldn't eat anything "slimy" such as cooked veggies. He also hates to have shoes on...it's a sensory thing.

I don't know if you've been warned, but you should expect regression during the transition this is normal. A verbal child that has a big change may loose those skills. Meltdowns may be more frequent than you were told they have been. He may stim a lot. He will likely lose skills in all this. Please don't be discouraged. This is normal.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
November 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, Lil Buddy is on a GFCF diet. We've become inventive in food choices. We have a great store here called Earth Fare and it has a huge selection of GF and GFCF foods. With our little man I can definitely tell a difference when he gets a food he shouldn't have. His eye contact got better and his gut issues (serious constipation) virtually disappeared when we started the diet.

And JM has an autism board. It is just a sub board under the special needs board now!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search