need advice for our unique situation

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

I am pregnant with my 5th child. My husband and I have decided to give our baby up for adoption. My sister will be adopting the baby.

She had her first (and only) baby in October last year at 24 weeks gestation. He lived for 10 sweet yet sorrowful days. The doctors advised her that IC was the most likely problem and that having more children could be an issue. She's unmarried but independant and 30 years old. We live in Tx. At one time we had considered surrogate pregnancy (her egg, my body, donor sperm) but the cost of that was almost impossible to comprehend. Add to that she has highly irregular cycles, sometimes going 5 months without a period.

Right now we are in the stage where we are shocked to be pregnant, know that we want her (and only her) to adopt this baby, and trying to seek support from any and all sources.

I don't know where to begin this process though. I assume the sooner the better but I don't know the first thing about adoption laws in tx. I tried to read online but a lot of it pertained to couples going through an agency seeking out a child. Our situation is a bit different.

I want to be prepared as much as possible for the upcoming months ahead and I want to make sure that all of our T's are crossed and I's dotted.
November 10th, 2010, 05:12 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe that if you have a person ready to adopt your child and everyone is in agreement about that, you only have to sign some simple paperwork. You can just call an adoption lawyer out of the yellow pages and ask if there are fees associated and if so, how much. Usually the adoptive parent pays those fees, but if your circumstance, it might be a bit different since you are family.

Good luck! What a gift you are giving your sister! The chance to be a mommy to a child here on earth!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I too think the process is much easier when you have a parent picked out and its amoung family. Good Luck and Congratulations

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

November 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran
Here is Tx the process is quite simple with identified parents. This is the same type of adoption my husband and I are completing currently.

Call a lawyer who handles adoptions. Your sister will have to pass a home study. Texas is one of the very few states that requires one for an identified adoption. But if you guys are really sure about all this then you can complete all that paper work before baby is born. Your sister can take the baby home from the hospital and it takes 6 months to finalize. Though some judges will waive the six month waiting period. (Ours did) Our homestudy was quick and to the point. The social worker wanted to know if we were financially stable, mentally stable and healthy. That was it. She spent a total of 2 hours with us total. Interviewed my husband and I separately and together and actually talked to our daughter as well (but she's nearly 4) She wanted 4 references, NON family and 2 family members she could talk to as well as naming who would take our daughter if we both died simultaneously. It was REALLY straightforward and pain less!
November 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
up here, private direct adoptions are the easiest and cheapest, we did three of them. Good luck, and what a wonderful gift to give your sister

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search