New here... advice please! :)

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
We were contacted by a mutual friend that's sister is pregnant and can't afford to keep the baby. She wants to give the baby to a family that she knows and have an open adoption but sign over legal guardianship without lawyers involved. Is this possible? I do not want to get my hopes up but she is due December 15th and we need to get things going. Any help would be much appreciated.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

November 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't do anything without lawyers involved personally. It just isn't safe for anyone. But you can have a very open adoption and it is rather painless with an adoption lawyer. I wish you all the best! Keep us posted!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any idea how much it cost for the lawyer? I just got the price of $1,200 for the home study.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

My blog

November 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't move forward with anything until you talk with a lawyer. WHen we were first looking into adoption, it would have cost around $8,000 total from start to finish with a firm.

$1,200 is pretty typical for a home study. You can talk with your county about trying to get one through them, might be cheaper.

Good luck!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

November 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Ugh! I have no clue what we are going to do. She doesn't want lawyers involved at all. I talked to her on the phone for 2 hours today and I called an adoption agency... they way she wants to do it I will have legal guardianship but she could at any time take the baby... and there is no way that I could handle that. So unless she changes her mind it's probably not going to happen. DH and I have lost enough children and I couldn't do it again.

My blog

November 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah, guardianship is good for family members who want to help, but not for a couple wanting a forever child. I'm sorry this doesn't look like he or she will be your forever child, but take heart... your child will find you.

Has adoption been on your minds at all before this?

November 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have mentioned it to DH before but he always kind of shrugged it off. But this time he was on board. I talked to him last night and I think we are going to save up money for a year and then start the whole process.

My blog

November 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Congratulations! That's a big step! I hope you can save up the money you want soon and start the process. It's a wonderful journey.

November 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Thank you We are very excited but we want to save up some money for the home study as well as the lawyer so that we don't have to get the loan for it. We should have the money together in a year (or less) so until then I'm going to try to get my hands on as much information as I can.

My blog

November 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GL on your adoption journey! Glad this experience helped get your hubby on board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search