Is it possible to adopt a child who is in foster care in another state?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I know this is a really, really, REALLY long shot, but I thought I'd ask for some information here...

I have a friend who is a foster parent, and she currently has in her care a little boy who is a little over a year old. She does not plan to adopt him because she has already adopted three children (one is this boy's older brother) and she has a bilogical child as well. She feels that she can't care for 5 children. Because she has adopted the older brother (who is 5), she has a pretty good relationship with the boys' grandmother. The grandmother says that she will take custody of the baby because my friend will not adopt him. My friend says that it would be very easy for her to convince the grandmother to let another family have them if she suggests them. Today she, kind of jokingly, said that if DH and I were in the same state that she's in she would tell the grandmother to let us have him. That seriously got my mind going and, if it all possible, I WOULD like to try to adopt this boy. I've always wanted to adopt, but I really don't know too much about what is involved.

DH and I are NOT foster parents.. Would that keep us from adopting him? Would it be possible for us to adopt him if he is in care in LA and we are in GA?

I found this information: Adopting A Child from the Foster Care System, Page 7

and this information: Interstate Adoption: ICPC and ICAMA -

but I really don't know what it all means.

if this is even possible, how much would this cost us, financially? Are there financial or other requirements that need to be met to adopt this child?

Thanks in advance for any help!
December 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea, diff country-but how amazing! If it were here, I'd get grandma to get guardianship and give it to me, then I'd file to adopt, but I have no idea about fostering and American legalities.
December 2nd, 2010, 02:58 AM
Veteran
BrookeLea, yes it is possible to adopt a child from another states foster care. But there is a lot of red tape and waiting. The first step for you would be to contact your local department of children and family services (social services) and find out if you have to do any MAPP training and a thourough personal and home evaluation, which I pretty sure every state requires. It's 30-35 hours of training for people wishing to foster or adopt from foster care. You complete that and get a certificate and then you could contact the child's grandmother and social worker and express your wishes to adopt the child and see where to go from there.
My husband and I live in Kentucky and are currently in the process of adopting a little boy from foster care in Ohio. It's not as easy as in-state, but it can be done!
December 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To be honest, it really sounds like a long shot in this case.

Inter-state adoption happens quite often in the foster system, but generally only if the state is having trouble finding an in-state family for the child.

If you were related to the child it would probably happen, as they try to place children with family members when possible.

As to the cost, adopting from the foster system is basically free. You may have to pay for your clearances and some small legal fees at finalization. You do have to prove that you are financially okay before being approved as adoptive parents.

If the child is considered special needs based on age, race, or condition you get an adoption subsidy (ie. monthly check) until they are 18.

Just wanted to add that it isn't the foster family or bio family that chooses an adoptive home for the child but the social workers, child advocate workers, etc. involved in the child's case.

Last edited by Zoostergirl; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:27 AM.
December 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
Thanks for the info, everyone. I know that it's a SUPER long shot, and that it will probably never happen, but it has really gotten me thinking. I really feel like I need to adopt, someday. Even if this little boy isn't the one for me, he has sure helped me take a step in the direction I want to head in. I think I'll talk to DH when he gets home and see if he wants to contact a social worker to find out what we need to to do prepare to adopt a child in the future.

My husband is in the military, so he is not home sometimes for weeks or months at a time.. How would that affect things? We would BOTH have to take classes, right?
December 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes you'd both have to take classes, but if you live in an area with a large military population your local foster care offices probably make accommodations for that. I know MANY military families who are foster families.

For your original question (since I just saw it...sorry), if grandmother gets legal custody of the little boy and DHR is out of the picture, she can allow you to adopt him, but that'd be a private adoption and would cost the fees of the lawyers and such. Otherwise, if an adoptive home was needed, the local DHR (or CPS, or whatever it is called in LA) would find a family for the boy... not foster mom or grandmother.

Good luck, though! Fostering a fabulous thing for our family, so I always think people should look into it!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search