Best Birthday Present Ever!

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran
My birthday is in 2 days and today we received word that our interstate adoption paper work has been sent in and all we're waiting for is approval. Once we are approved we will start visits and it's looking good that Adam might be here in time for his first Christmas with his new family! What a beautiful way to end this year and start a wonderful new year!
December 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
woohoo! congrats!

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
December 6th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Such awesome news! I hope you get your Christmas (and Birthday) Wish!!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

December 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yay!!
December 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is awesome!!! I can't wait to hear he is at home!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
December 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
That is so great!!! I hope you get your birthday/Christmas wish!!!

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
December 7th, 2010, 06:18 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Awesome! Glad to hear he's getting closer to getting away from his foster family and into your loving home!

Something not mentioned before but you should know is that even without a new environment/new people Christmas is very overwhelming to an autistic child. He might now be willing/able to open all the gifts at once, and he likely won't cope well with a big family dinner.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
December 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Veteran
Augie, I've read a lot about autistic children really having a lot of trouble with holidays. It really makes me sad. Luckily, Adam is very use to having a lot of people around (but we are going to keep it minimal if he gets to come by then) and he isn't greatly affected by noises. He just giggles and "plays" totally oblivious to everything around him.

We finally got his medical/social work records in a few days ago and boy did that clarify a lot. According to his (now deceased) foster mother and therapists he can say "mama" and "dada" and "ei ei o" (Old McDonald) and a few other words but mainly spoke around the foster mom. She seemed to be the most significant person in his life and he was very attached to her. When she died it was in the middle of a move, the therapist said Adam spent days frantically looking around the house and crying for her. So while he may not understand death, he definitely knew she was missing and he missed her. Hence, why he probably kissed me on the nose, maybe he thought I was her or just another motherly figure.

Also, when she was alive he "made progress" and was able to sleep. His file said he was use to sleeping in the floor (his bio family of 6-7 lived in a 1 bedroom apt). But he would sleep in the foster parents bed, snuggling with the foster mom. So obviously she was his rock and comfort zone.

They also give more stories on his thinking capacity. One story tells where he is 5 (last fall) visiting his therapist. Adam got fed up with the interview so he grabbed his coat and tried to walk out. He had enough capacity to THINK to get his coat before he tried to leave. The little stories like this really make me think he isn't as "profound" as they suspect. I even personally saw him listen to my husband say "No, we can't go outside and you can't go out without a grown up." He came to me and took my hand and pushed my husband back and grabbed the door handle. I believe this child is very intelligent but with no way of communication (and no one helping him or using PEC cards at home) they just want to classify him as severely mentally retarded and be done with him.

So, that brings me to my finally point. All his medical records show up until he's 3 NORMAL developmental progress. He's learning, using a few words and everything is great. The mother has another child and BAM! instantly he reverts, stops talking, stops learning and even stops growing. I wonder if he could have been a high/higher functioning or even aspergers but with no attention and no one working with him he shut down completely developmentally?

Sorry for such a long post, just trying to put together the pieces of my son's life to get a bigger picture and understand him better. Any input? Concerns?
December 7th, 2010, 07:05 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I think you're going to do great! What he needs is a nurturing environment with the proper interventions and therapies in place. It sounds like you have it under control. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
December 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Veteran
Thanks, Augie. I'm just trying to prepare myself as much as possible so I will be ready for him
December 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you have done your homework. When he's home and you see specific things you wonder about, don't hesitate to ask! You are going to be an awesome mommy to that boy.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
December 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay! Great news! My advice is not to put too much on the diagnosis but wait until he's with you and see what he's like.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search