So many questions! Hopefully you ladies can help...

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 01:39 AM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello! I am new to this board but not new to JM. I have been lurking a little around here but have a lot of questions and am hopeful some of you can help me. My husband and I are working on a domestic infant adoption (hopefully). We have done the TTC with MA thing and have decided adoption would be the best route for us. We currently have a completed/approved home study that was completed by an independent person who is licensed in our state. Unfortunately we live in Alaska an there are not many options as far as adoption goes. The one agency we do have pretty much blew me off and told me we would have to have our study re-done because it is a part of their "process." Which of course did not sit well with me. Another unfortunate part about our state is we really don't have a foster-to-adopt program. There are of course older children available to be adopted but nothing for younger children. The goal of our child protective agency is always reunification which causes a lot of heartache for those who want to adopt, takes a VERY long time to get a child legally free.

Anyways. We have contacted a group of independent social workers in Florida to help with our process. We did get a call from them back in late Nov but were not picked for that baby. Have made general contact since then but no calls about other babies. I am of course anxious to hear about other infants, even if we don't get picked. Just to know the process is moving somewhere! I have been looking at multiple agencies in multiple different states but not sure. Some have good reviews and some bad, some mixed and some with none. How does one choose!?! I do also find it curious that a lot of agencies have a high (to me) application fee. Some I have seen on facebook pages looking for adoptive families (particularly for bi-racial children) then you look at there website and the application fee is sitting there... some up to $300. Does this seem outrageous to anyone else?! Seems to me that the adoption will cost enough... why the need for the application fee? particularly if you are in need of "qualified" families?

Just wondering what others processes were for choosing agencies since apparently geography is not something that will make much of a difference for us.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for reading! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tiffany
January 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
angel3y35's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I remember you from TTC w/endo

I felt the same way about the application fees. We're actually about to sign a contract with a facilitator in CA. Their application was free which is why I tried with them to begin with. Their fail rate is around 5% which is MUCH lower than the national average. Feel free to PM me if you want any info about them. We haven't gotten very far but I can tell you what I know!

Thanks to :shortcake: for my siggy

Our adoption miracle born 12/31/13

06/2004 - Lap for endo and cysts
08/2006 - Lap for endo and cysts
02/2010 - Lap for endo, cysts, and hydrosalpinx repair
02/2011 - Lap for endo, cysts, and RSO
12/2011 - TAH and LSO
5/2012 - Lap for adhesions
4/2013 - Lap for adhesions
Stage IV endometriosis, sever adenomyosis, PCOS, IC
January 27th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran
Hi we are working with 2 angencies and I agree the app fee's are high but at this pont I feel like we just have to play their game if we ever want a baby. Thankfully the 2nd agency for us did accept our current homestudy so that was no prob. but our 2 agencies are in 2 diff. states and each state has different requirements so it's tough to keep up with both sets of laws. I think our app fee for the 2nd agency was like $150 but then it was $2500 fee when we finally got to the point to be ready to be shown so none of it definatly is inexpensive.
I don't know about anyone else but the wait time is killing me!! We've been waiting for 10 months now which I know for some people is not long but we had a failed placement on early on last year and so now it feels like an eternity. It gets really depressing waiting. I don't know if anyone else goes through this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search