Becoming parents through Foster Care in 2011

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Hi everyone!

My name is Becky and DH is Derek. I have been an active member over on TTC#1 as we have been trying for almost a year and a half to concieve. So far we don't have any official answers to what is preventing this although I know suspect the main culprit is Endo and PCOS or some combination, as that is what my mom had. Anyway even though we are working on a bio baby I have always felt called to adoption. Recently our county ran an ad campaign for foster parents and I read a few books and I was like this is what we are supposed to do. DH wasnt 100% convinced but he went with me to the meeting and we filled out our application. DH is a pastor and I am a daycare teacher. We have a 4 bedroom house 2 dogs and a cat. We are hoping to focus on kids up to age 10 although infants would be the most comfortable for me as that is what I work with professionally. Maybe it's silly but I also have a vision that there are some twins out there for us that maybe would face separation, or have some special circumstances? I worked as a nanny for twins and ever since I have felt a calling to them i guess you would say. I also feel a pull toward hearing or vision impaired children. However I will be happy to welcome and love any child God feels fit to give. We are so excited for this next chapter in our story.

The exact reason for me posting now other than to introduce myself is that Our Homefinding visit is coming up Monday Feb. 7 and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this part of the process and could offer any insight into what to expect, good questions to ask the caseworker, and any tips for us. I know the processes vary as each state and county controll their own departments but any general information would be appreciated.

Thank You!

January 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
I never had a homefinding visit (the two adotions I am doing are family but still considered to be through foster care) but wanted to welcome you to the group and say congrat's on starting your journey.
I am guessing that they are just going to do a walk through of your home and let you know what you will need to get, etc (like fire alarms in everybedroom and the top and bottom of stairs. But that is my state so it might be different than yours). And maybe ask a few questions and such.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
February 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm, I'm a foster mom. I'm not sure what a Homefinding visit is. I'm sure it is something we do here but it is called something different.

We had a homestudy and an interview process. Both were done in my home. They looked over everything (made sure we had safety stuff and beds for everyone and things like that). They asked me and my husband questions about our personal lives and such. We had to have that interview apart... not sitting together. But it was all easy stuff really. I didn't have a problem with any of it.

Welcome to the board! I can't wait to hear more about your journey!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
February 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
HopeNFaith's Avatar Veteran
I think its wonderful that you are pursuing foster care! I work for a Fost-Adopt Ministry in CO where we recruit, train and support parents who want to adopt children from foster care. I'm not sure how it works in your state, but here there is the application paperwork, and many required training hours plus the background check and homestudy process to become certified. The home study is an interview process about your personal histories and current life/relationships. Then they also do the home inspection where they make sure your home is safe for kids.
I would suggest getting as much training as you can to prepare for this journey! And definitely find a support group with other foster parents/adoptive parents. That is when we see the most success, is when people have the support they need - and use it!
Wish you all the best as you move forward!!
February 7th, 2011, 07:08 AM
our caseworker canceled todays visit she has a family emergency I guess.

February 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
aww well that stinks!! I was on this board a while back..im back in..we finally did concieve but are not giving up on foster to adopt! We are foster parents as well..we had a homestudy just like the other girls said so is that what you mean? It really isnt that big a deal! We all make it seem like its a huge deal..but its not all it is is they come in interview you and dh together and seperate to see if you are mentally and physically able to care for children..then they will come in and inspect to make sure your home is safe..not sure about your state but in az all cleaning products and medications have to be under lock and key..we went and got some magnetic things at babies r us that have a magnet to unlock it..and really thats the biggest deal! We too got in it for infants but were told it might take a bit..but our licesnsing worker didnt want us to foster b/c of the infertility..she thought it would be tough to take a child back from us..but that was our case! Its very rewarding though! Sorry for the ramble! good luck sweetie! i sure hope you get your miracle!! God is watching! He has a plan!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
February 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Aww, I'm sorry! Our resource worker (the one who comes to do the home visits) and I have a running joke that when she calls to make an appointment to come and see us, we should just go ahead and make the second appointment. She ALWAYS has to cancel! But it is because there are 3 of them who find homes for ALL the kids who come into care. So if one is on vacation, or in court, or if they have a large family come in, she has to cancel to take care of that. I hope you get rescheduled soon!!

February 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks!

Our intake appt is now sceduled for the 28th. I just wish we could start right away after this meeting we still have the 10 weeks of classes and more visits! It feels like such a long road. I also made the mistake of going to adoptuskids.org and totally fell in love with these three siblings! Unfortunately it woupldnt work out for us anyway as the oldest is 10 and that is a little too old for 24 yr olds Also DH isnt ready to jump into a permanent family with 3 "older" kids he's still getting used to the idea of adopting at all. But I printed their profile and I pray for them alot. I really hope they find loving parents.

March 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Sorry I havent updated in a while. We finally had our visit and got passed through to our MAPP class. IM so excited!

March 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I really enjoyed my MAPP class. I hope you have the same great experience! Take notes, and keep up with all the mountains of paperwork you get, you'll be thankful later that you did!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search