On Life As a New, First-Time Mommy by Adoption

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran
We finalize in October, on the 6th Adam came to live with us on March 25th, a mere 5 months after we first met him. Oh how the days have changed! Now that the honeymoon period is just about over I'm finally getting some Marie time back to use my computer. My little guy is going to be SEVEN this month and we're planning his first ever birthday celebration! It's going to be BIG! Adam is severely autistic, ADHD, with mild to moderate mental retardation and multiple behavior issues...or so we were told.

Since moving in with us, he has learned manners (being in public, how to behave in the car, manners while eating). He had never been to a store or restuarant before we took him. At first he was a little anxious but now he LOVES to go. Something social workers said he would NEVER do in his lifetime. He's also learned some sign language (he's completely non-verbal) within the first few weeks he was picking up signs with ease. Today, he's starting to babble and trying to make words! We've heard mama and bye bye. While not consistently, we still know he can say them!!! That was something else the social workers told us he'd probably never do.

Adam can now button and unbutton, zip and unzip his pants (potty training will be starting soon). He has went to his first county fair and on his first trip to the local public swimming pool and LOVED IT. He's imitating and watching everything we do and has surpassed many of the things we were told he might not do until he is a lot older or may never do at all. Miracles can happen!

He was also described by psychiatrists, social workers, and foster homes to not be social or affectionate and not liking other kids. Today, he plays with his cousins, has his own friends, and willingly gives hugs and kisses frequently. I feel so blessed to be his mommy!

So please, if you're considering foster care adoption take a look at these "difficult" special needs children and do not just go by the bios...ask to meet these kids, because those bios don't always do kids justice and there are some great kids put aside as "too difficult" or "unadoptable"!!!
June 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
tawny63's Avatar Super Mommy
Awwwww. You make me remember being a para-educator for two boys (brothers) with severe non-verbal autism. They were very affectionate too. Jenny McCarthy has written a couple books that helped give me insight to their view of the world and I really enjoyed it. Not for the faint of heart though. lol.

I'm very impressed with your progress!!! That just shows how neglected he was and how much love you show him. He sounds like the beginning of an amazing success story! Are there any autism programs near you? There is tons of support for kids and families. Keep us posted
12/06 clomid 50mg=INSANITY and OHSS
Decided to adopt 01/07
raced to the hospital to get our baby boy in August 2007, 12 days after we went "live" to adopt!
Mental break....ahhh. Mommy time....ahhhh. <3
Endometriosis surgery 01/16/09
Femara+IUI 03/09, 04/09, 05/09, 06/09 BFN's
07/09: mixture of acupuncture, herbs, hope, and prayers
09/2009~too much pain, had to go on BCP's.
06/10: Starting adoption process again!!!!!
10/13/10: Adoption paperwork done...now just pray and wait....
01/07/11 profiles turned into the adoption agency.
Matched April 1st, 2011 with a baby girl!
Cassidy born June 15, 2011

June 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awww, what an amazing update! What a lucky little boy he is to have found you
June 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a WONDERFUL story! I have thought so so much of you guys. Thank you for coming to let us know how it is all going. I love the moments when my son does things that people told us he'd never do. And YAY for hearing "mama"!!! That's got to be the sweetest sound in the whole world! Can he sign "mama"? I just love it when my son does that sign. It melts my heart every single time.

Adam and my Lil Buddy sound so very similar. Perhaps one day they can meet. Congratulations on your beautiful family!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
June 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran
Thanks everyone! I'm so proud of the accomplishments he's made. It's a long way from walking naked down the streets of Cincinnati starving that's for sure. We have already decided that we want to adopt more special needs kiddos I have always dreamed of having kids of my own and when faced with the reality of not physically being able to it nearly destroyed me. For 3 years of my life I was in the worst depression. All of my friends were having babies. I got to the point where I couldn't even talk to my friends or look a pictures of their kids. I felt like a terrible person. I was jealous and angry at God. And one day, it hit me. I prayed for him to forgive my anger and jealousy and just waited patiently...6 months later we got our certification after 2 years of waiting and backlogging and 4 weeks later we found our son and I couldn't be happier!
June 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing update! I'm so happy to hear he's doing so well! Giving hugs and saying "mamma".....That's just awesome! Reading this almost brought me to tears.

We were also told many things about our little one that turned out not to be true. They said she had major cognitive impairments and would likely never be on the same academic level with her peers. Well, at 5 years old she's reading at a 1st/2nd grade level already and starting a regular kindergarten in August. Of course I think she's brilliant! We were told she would probably never walk on her own and would need a wheelchair for the rest of her life. She's hardly used her wheelchair at all in 2 months!
Isn't it nice to poove them all wrong?

You're right....Miracles do happen! God really does make all things turn out for good when we turn to Him!

Praying for continued blessings for you and Adam.
September 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran
Update: First of all, forgive the spelling if there are errors I didn't catch...our keyboard has gone spastic...We finalize Oct. 6
October 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Sorry, don't know how I missed this but I did.
Thank you for sharing your story. It's truly wonderful that he has made so much progress in the time he has been with you. It goes to show what a stable, loving home can do for a child. And how much of an effect neglect plays. I have a 6 year old biological child with autism (though he is high functioning) so if you ever need to vent, ask questions, etc feel free to pm me.
Also wanted to add that if you wanted to you could check out the Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders. There are many moms of children with autism in there.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
October 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Veteran
Autism is such a broad disorder, it's always interesting tofind and talk to other autism mommies
October 13th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story. Its great to hear that he has made some improvement; it wont be long before he progresses ahead of this. I have seen kids improving at a faster rate with time.
October 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Congratulations on your new son! Thank you for your huge heart to take in this precious boy...he's obviously already thriving in your family! Blessings on you as you raise Adam...and maybe more kiddos in the future, too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search