Introduction

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Hey everybody,

I'm Nana. My DH and I are looking into foster care/fostering - adopt. We're looking into getting certified this spring or summer. I'd like to find out the ins and outs of foster care and adoption and learn about others journeys and experiences.
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
January 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
Hello Nana I'm a foster Mommy for children 3 and younger with special needs. I didn't foster to adopt, but did end up adopting my foster daughter Avery after 2 years. Welcome, I hope the process goes smoothly for you! If you have any questions, feel free to ask

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
January 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I'm a foster parent and a foster to adopt parent as well. I have two biological children here one earth and one who lives in Heaven and I have a son who I'm adopting very soon. He has been with us for about 3.5 years now.

Welcome to our board! Feel free to jump in and ask questions and tell us all about yourself too.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome

Little about me: DH and I are 22 years old. I was adopted by my parents by age 1 from Catholic social services but I was in their care from 6 weeks onwards. My younger brother and I were the only ones out of 16 kids who were adopted. I've always wanted to adopt and foster care has been something I've considered a lot. About a year ago my husband and I started talking about it, but just recently in the last few months we've been much more serious about taking the plunge. He's very, very hesitant about taking on a child older than 2 or 3. So we'll probably try to stick to that age range if it's possible (I've gotten some very mixed answers on that from different things I have read).

I have so many questions! It's hard to know where to begin. Right now I'm looking for some good reading material on the subject though. I've read in a few different places tapestry books is a good place to start. Anyone have any good recommendations?
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
January 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the foster system you CAN designate your age ranges. You can ALSO refuse placements when they call you and ask you take a 12 year old (or whatever you have told them you cannot take) because inevitably they will call you for a child who is not within the age range you gave them. Don't feel bad about that.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 14th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBethsMommy View Post
In the foster system you CAN designate your age ranges. You can ALSO refuse placements when they call you and ask you take a 12 year old (or whatever you have told them you cannot take) because inevitably they will call you for a child who is not within the age range you gave them. Don't feel bad about that.
I've read that. It doesn't reflect negatively on you if you refuse a placement?

Also, as we're on the younger end of the spectrum (22) I'm wondering how much that'll harm our chances in any way?...
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
January 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran
DH and I are doing the Foster Adoption as well! We have a meeting with our agency next week!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search