Stepparent adoption

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Has anyone done this? Can you tell me about it please? I have discussed it with a lawyer but only briefly to get an idea of cost. Was it a long process? How was it for the child?
February 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Veteran
My grandparents adopted my sister and I when I was around 10 years old. The court met with them and we had to go to a counselor to make sure all was okay. We were in Missouri at the time, and my parents had to sign off all rights to us. Which was mainly my father, their son. My mother lost custody of us in the first place and my Dad never came for us. We were in foster care for 2 months before my grandparents found out. So my story is a bit different but if you are adopting and your SO ex is in the picture there may be a battle BUT if he/she is not in the picture then there should be no problem. Each state is completely different.

It is usually a document/contract drawn up by each person doing the adopting.
February 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I think it depends on your situation, my sons egg doner is an unfit parent that choose drugs over her kids, CPS was involved alot of having our lives looked at with a fine tooth comb. once her parental rights were stripped it took 2-3 trips to the court house filling out paperwork on mine and my hubbys part now im legally there mom
February 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
forever and a day's Avatar Member
I'm in Canada so it may not apply if you're in the US or elsewhere, but the processes are pretty similar wherever you go it seems.

My fiance will be adopting my DD when we get married, after we file for his residency here (immigrating form US).
The time/process really depends on the legal situation regarding the child at the time.

For us it will be one court date and a bit of paperwork, the adoption and name change can be done all in one date. DD has no listed father in the first place, since she was adopted by myself as a lone parent. There's no need to sever parental rights/ties in order to have DF become her father legally, it's just a matter of establishing a legal relationship, not replacing one with another.

If parental rights DO need to be severed against the birth father, then you will have a considerably more complicated process anywhere you life.
March 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
it can differ depending on circumstances. my husband came into my sons life when he was 1. so he grew up with him as daddy. bio father didnt see him much and after we got married and had our daughter my husband wanted to make it legal so after a few months the bio father signed off, we had paperwork, home visits, and next thing ya know we got the approved paperwork in the mail. didnt even have to go to court. then we got his new birth certificate in the mail 6 weeks later(we elected to change his birth certificate,and his last name). it cost us about 205 i wanna say so not much at all

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search