Where is everyone in their adoption journey?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Since we are all at different places in our adoption journey's I figured it would be helpful for newbies if we could all answer a few questions about where we are in our journey with adoption.

What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done (ex. private, international, foster, etc)?
Where are you in the process (already finalized, just starting, somewhere in between)?
How long did it take you to get this far? Where there any big things that made the wait longer?
When did you decide you wanted to adopt?
What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part?

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
February 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done (ex. private, international, foster, etc)? Avery's adoption was a foster adoption, and Maliyah is an international adoption. I met her while on a mission trip in Africa and have been sponsoring her since last May.
Where are you in the process (already finalized, just starting, somewhere in between)? Avery's adoption is final, Maliyah's will be final in July
How long did it take you to get this far? Avery's adoption took 2 years. So far Maliyah's has taken 9 months, it will take 12 months total.
Were there any big things that made the wait longer? With Avery's, we had trouble terminating her bio parents' rights because of some clause, but it got figured out eventually. Maliyah's only delay has been finding and getting permission from her only living relative for her to be adopted, which finally got done a few weeks ago.
When did you decide you wanted to adopt? When I was adopted
What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part? The hardest part is waiting for Maliyah to come home.

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
February 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done? kinship adoption through foster care
Where are you in the process? finalized a year ago
How long did it take you to get this far? Where there any big things that made the wait longer? From the decision to adopt to finalizing was less than a year for us. We know we were very lucky in this regard. We were told in the begining to expect it to take at least 2 years.
When did you decide you wanted to adopt? As soon as I met her. Early in our marriage, Rick and I had talked about maybe adopting someday but by the time we had our third baby we thought our family was complete. We were wrong. God had other plans.
What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part? The emotional challenges of learning how to care for her, helping her sisters adjust and saying goodbye to her birthmother. We also had some minor challenges dealing with the foster care system with things like her medical care and schooling. It was hard for me to not be in control of making those decisions. I'm just a control freak I guess.

February 28th, 2012, 04:55 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done (ex. private, international, foster, etc)? We would love to do a private adoption. Will probably end up oing foster care adoption though.
Where are you in the process (already finalized, just starting, somewhere in between)? JUST starting.
How long did it take you to get this far? Where there any big things that made the wait longer? Well, I can answer for why it's taking so long to make progress. 1) Money, we don't have it. 2) Just as we were starting the foster licensing process I got pregnant with twins and lost them leading to emergency surgery.
When did you decide you wanted to adopt? As a child. I've always planned on adopting. I just thought I'd have a bio child first.
What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part? At this point actually being able to seems pretty hard.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done (ex. private, international, foster, etc)?
Where are you in the process (already finalized, just starting, somewhere in between)? twins were finalized Dec 2009 and E was finalized March 2010
How long did it take you to get this far? Where there any big things that made the wait longer? We were approached and finalized within 9months total for three kids
When did you decide you wanted to adopt? We were waiting for a call for a 2nd IVF attempt in April 2009 and we got a call from FIL saying he knew someone with twin boys in NICU who needed parents, their sister came for a permanent "visit" seven months later
What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part? waiting for that file to go through the courts and praying the bios wouldn't back out (ours were private, direct adoptions but we weren't safe until the judge made them ours)
March 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran
What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done (ex. private, international, foster, etc)? My DH and I are doing Foster Adoption with parental rights already terminated. The age range for our adoption will be less than 12 months and/or a sibling group with both children under 2 years old. The agency likes that we are wanting two at once and have talked to us about a twin sibling group. We also have the option of adopting two separate children under the age of 12 months. I believe firmly that we will know how little ones the moment we see him/her/them

Where are you in the process (already finalized, just starting, somewhere in between)? We are done with the initial application and have completed the necessary 16 hours of CORE training for adoption in the State of Colorado. We are waiting for the FBI background check to come back which should be back within the next 2-3 weeks. DH is Active Duty Air Force so we know this will not be a road block. Then our Homestudy begins soon afterwards. We have a projected date of being "Adoption Ready" as May 1st

How long did it take you to get this far? Where there any big things that made the wait longer? We started the process Jan 23, 2012 so we are almost 2 months in to the process. With the children we are looking at after 90 days of being placed in our home we will be set to finalize the adoption State of Colorado likes to finalize adoption 90 days after permanent placement for children 6 years and younger!! SUPER EXCITED!!!

When did you decide you wanted to adopt? After almost 5 years worth of not being able to get pregnant even with IVF, we prayed and prayed about our next option. DH got stationed in CO and he brought up Adoption because of a guy he works with mentioned the process to him. We never dreamed about Foster adoption and knew that private adoption was really pricey. The Air Force is amazing with the adoption process and even gives DH extra days off for it and we get a nice reimbursement for gas driven as well as any out of pocket expenses we will have. We found our adoption agency by the grace of GOD, IMO and when the director mentioned Foster adoption we knew it was meant for us. We are moving fast through the process because of military obligations

What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part? I really believe the hardest part for us will be the waiting game we are already within. We are changing our habits like eating out, spending less money etc. as a childless couple to be better prepared for when do officially adopt WE have been talking about having our own family for so long that the idea of it being possible by the end of the year is completely amazing!!!
March 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
What type of adoption are you looking to do or are in the process of doing or have done (ex. private, international, foster, etc)? I am doing a kinship adoption through foster care
Where are you in the process (already finalized, just starting, somewhere in between)? The adoptions will be finalized in late March/Early April.
How long did it take you to get this far? Where there any big things that made the wait longer? I have had my little girl since she was 9 months and she just turned 6, except a year when her bio mother (my sister) got her back. My little guy came home right from the hospital and he just turned 3. Because of moving between counties and having paper work misplaced and TPR took a while it made the wait so much longer.
When did you decide you wanted to adopt? Ever since I was little I loved the idea of adoption, I wasn't sure I would though. It wasn't until my sister became pregnant with her 5th child that I knew I wanted to adopt.
What was the hardest part of the adoption, or what do you think will be the hardest part? The hardest part so far was waiting on bio dad to decide if he wanted to do a voluntary TPR or if he would fight the involuntary TPR. I'm glad he decided to make things easier and did a voluntary on both kids.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search