Starting the process.

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ShesaDreamer
  • 2 Post By esparando para bebé

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Hello I'm Elizabeth I'm married to my DH Hoy for almost 7 years and we have one DD together Angelica aka Diva. We also have custody of his 2 sons from his second marriage Bailey and Kayson and his oldest son lives with us too Josh. And we are starting the process to adopt from the foster care system in our state. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. And the wonderful this is my SIL has said as soon as she settles a few things with her health then she is wanting to look into it too. So I thought that I would drop in and say Hi and see if you ladies had any advice as to what to expect through this process.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

May 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I don't know what you can expect, but I wanted to wish you the Best of Luck! Sounds like a big happy family!

Lucky mother to three beautiful children
Hoping to add a baby to our family through domestic adoption
visit us at www.parentprofile.net
like us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian-Stephanie-want-to-adopt-a-baby/294626610596310
May 25th, 2012, 08:38 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome Elizabeth!!! I'm Linda, mommy to Alexzander (7) and adoptive mommy to Katie (6) and Aiden (3). I did a kinship adoption through foster care so its similar but different from what you are doing. Katie and Aiden are biologically my niece and nephew. I didn't get my foster care license until after both children had been living with me for quite a while, and it has now expired but I do plan on fostering in the future once my 3 are a little older so I will have to renew it.
Some things to expect (some from personal experience and some from what I have learned from others)....
-things take a while but don't give up.
-social workers can be hard to get ahold of, just keep calling/emailing if you have to.
-document everything (calls, emails, and do a daily report on each child while they are in your home).
-Expect the unexpected.
-Nothing is final until the judge pounds his gavel.
-Every heart ache, worry, etc is completely worth it when the adoptions are finalized and you become a forever family. Don't ever give up. The adoptions of my two took 3 years and i honestly thought it might never happen, but it did and it made it all worth it. My case was unique with missing paperwork, waiting on TPR of the father who didn't want to terminate his rights but also didn't want to parent or take financial responsibility, and then moving to a different county and more missing paperwork, etc. Most cases don't take 3 years!!
-make sure you and your hubby agree on what you can and can't handle when it comes to behaviors and physical/mental handicaps and stick to it. Don't take in a child that you don't feel like you could handle, because it normally doesn't end well.
-when a social worker calls you about a child they sometimes don't know much more than you do about the child, so they are going off of what they have been told. That's why I say expect the unexpected.
-and most of all enjoy the children who come in your life!!!! They are all precious and amazing in their own way.

I am not trying to scare you but just wanted to give you advice that I have learned over the years from other foster parents. Being a foster parent and an adoptive parent is beyond rewarding!!

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
We're doing this too, Elizabeth. Supposed to start classes on the 5th.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search