Fear of failing home study because of our puppy

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
We have a 2 1/2 year old border collie. We brought her home when she was 8 weeks old, during a week that we had 3 feet of snow on the ground and were unable to get her outside to socialize as we had planned. She is our baby currently and the sweetest thing when she is with us. She is excellent with little kids, I am a nanny and when the kids are here she does one of two things 1. completely ignores the fact that they are here because they dont faze her, or 2. brings them all her toys and sits at there feet waiting for them to play with her. The problem we have with her is with new adults. For some reason she feels the need to bark, growl and even run after (she has never bit or attacked anyone!) them if we are outside, or if someone new comes in the house and she is in her crate she will bark like crazy at them. If it is an adult that she knows, like our neighbors that she sees everyday, or our family members, she runs right up to them and licks them and loves on them. So, basically my fear is that the social worker will automatically see her as a threat and walk right out the door refusing to pass us on our home study because she will surely bark at her when she walks in and our dog doesnt recognize her. What do you think??

P.S. I have no idea why my siggie isnt showing up?
June 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Well I think that everyone expects a dog that doesn't know you to bark and throw a fit. What happens if you actually introduce her to a new person. Is she fine after the introduction or does she still throw a fit? Maybe you can look into some obedience training for her. I know that a lot of larger pet stores like Pet Smart offer classes that are fairly reasonable.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

June 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I think you have to have 10 posts for your signature to show.

I would explain that to the social worker. Maybe offer to have your neighbors back up your claim.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
June 6th, 2012, 01:00 PM
She is just so leary of people and I dont understand it because we have had her basically her whole life since she came home with us at 8 weeks old and she has never had a unpleasant or traumatizing experience with someone. When we introduce her to new adults she freaks out at first, and then it takes her a while to warm up even a little bit to the person. If the person tries to touch her, she runs away. She just seems so sensitive, like if someone is running down the road or even walking, and looks at her the wrong way, its like she either feels threatened or challenged by them and just looses her cool. I have wanted to get her some training for this problem but she wont even let a trainer come near her. Like I said, its like the only people she trusts, are my husband and i, our close neighbors that she knows well and sees everyday, or our families. She is otherwise a wonderful, adorable, sweet, snuggly, loveable, smart dog. She is very obedient, listens to all commands and does a bunch of smarty pants tricks, I just wish we could get her over this problem. I know people say that border collies can be a little skiddish, and they have that natrual herding instict, maybe thats why she chases someone who is running down the road lol.

Augie, thanks for verifying the possible siggie problem. Its been so long since I had less than 10 posts, i didnt remember that.
July 1st, 2012, 12:51 PM
Put her with the groomer that day. I did that with mine because he is loud with strangers and would interrupt. We showed pics and said he was at the groomers.
July 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran
Social workers understand. Just have him outside while you're inside, and inside while you're outside, so that you can focus without the loud barking. Does he stop barking if you hold him? My dog does, so I held him during our homestudy lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search