Why?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
Why did you want to adopt? or Why did you adopt? I mean in your heart, why did you make that decision??

November 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't adopted yet. It's something we're considering in about 10 years. We're thinking about adopting 2 older children (possibly siblings and roughly the same age as our biological children) who are "hard to place" because of age, race, or whatever. Every child should have a firm foundation. Too many are tossed to the side like garbage or have simply become a victim of bad luck. I feel it's my duty as a Christian to help as many people personally as I can, and adopting children would be a wonderful way to open my heart to someone.
November 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Thats so great!!

We want to adopt a newborn because we haven't gotten preggo but 1 time and I lost it. I have always wanted to adopt because there are so many babies out there that need lots of love, a family, and someone to care for them. Plus its a great way for my husband and I to start our family together. He has 2 kids from his previous marriage but we want a child together. At least one child together and maybe even 2 children together.

November 8th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Veteran
We tried for a biological child only to have two loses and we would only try medication on the road of fertiltiy treatments. Then it hit us that "having" a child does not mean having to go through pregnancy but rather being there 24-7 for all the good and bad times in your childs life. As Christians we were led to adoption with open hearts knowing that this was the path for us and put our trust in the Lord and we've been blessed with two wonderful children. There is no way I'd change what we've been through and what we have in our family.
November 8th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to Crystalynn Send a message via AIM to Crystalynn Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalynn
I kind of answered this in TTC with MA, but our hearts led us there... When we found out why we were not getting pregnant on our own (and that are chances were slim to none), we were just not emotinally ready to deal with all the invasive stuff. We were drawn to adoption.... and that's where we found our precious little girl Our hearts just knew she was out there...

November 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I did see your response in TTC MA. Thanks for posting it again though because maybe someone else will see it that didn't before.

November 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Brad and I have always wanted to adopt. We started talking about it when we were dating. Domestic adoption never even occured to us really. We both wanted to adopt internationally as well as have biological children. This was before we knew we were going to have all these problems getting pregnant. We both just felt like it was right for us. When Brad was deployed in 2003 I got major baby fever. I started looking into adoption. Studying the process and the diffrent countries. I happened to watch Oprah one day (one of the few times i watch that show) and on her show she had a lady that had set up a hospital in Ethiopia for young girls to go and have a particular surgery. At the end of the show I got this overwhelming feeling that Ethiopia was where our future son/daughter was. That was it. I think adoption is such a wonderful thing to be a part of and what a great way to add to your family.

November 10th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Awww... Thats such a sweet story. Isn't it funny how the smallest of things can affect our decisions on different things? Thanks for sharing!

November 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Me and my husband eventually want to adopt, but not until we are more stable that we are right now.

about 1-1/2 years ago we got guardianship of DH's brother until he turned 18. He had had a really rough life. His mother stayed married to the man who was convicted of molested her daughter then he got out of prison and she brought him into the home with my BIL. BIL had already been on a "down hill slide". He was smoking, using drugs, hanging out with the wrong people, etc...

When his mothers husband got out of prison he showed up at our house asking us to let him stay. The next day we filed for guardianship and custody after laying down some rules (no smoking, no drugs, no drinking, he had to stay in school, and he had to get a part time job if he stayed at the school he was in which was only 3 hours a day). We got guardianship. Now he's 18, is living with a roommate who I like alot, is a Assistant Manager at his work, has not smoked or done drugs (he agreed to do a drug test anytime we asked) and has graduated high school. We see him at least 2x a month (he lives about an hour away) usually more.

Originally we took him in because he needed a safe haven. We knew my SIL wasn't going to because he and her husband hate each other, we knew my other BIL wouldn't be good because he's still refused to grow up and take responsibility for himself. And his father hasn't been in his life since he was 5 years old. After a short time, it was we knew we were his one chance to change his life around NOW instead of trying to do it on his own, and we love him. He knows if he ever needs anything all he has to do is come to us and we'll do what we can.

For Mothers day he sent me a card saying "You may only be my SIL but when it really mattered you were the closest thing to a Mother I ever had, Thank You." I'm only 4 years older than him, but the difference that short time made in him was worth the awkwardness itnitially of telling someone basically my own age what he could and could not do, where he could and could not go, and who he could and could not see.
November 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
For Mothers day he sent me a card saying "You may only be my SIL but when it really mattered you were the closest thing to a Mother I ever had, Thank You." I'm only 4 years older than him, but the difference that short time made in him was worth the awkwardness itnitially of telling someone basically my own age what he could and could not do, where he could and could not go, and who he could and could not see.[/b]
Wow, I admire you and your husband for making such a difference in this young man's life. It's amazing what a loving home can do. Thanks for sharing!

my photog blog / my family blog
November 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Me and my husband eventually want to adopt, but not until we are more stable that we are right now.

about 1-1/2 years ago we got guardianship of DH's brother until he turned 18. He had had a really rough life. His mother stayed married to the man who was convicted of molested her daughter then he got out of prison and she brought him into the home with my BIL. BIL had already been on a "down hill slide". He was smoking, using drugs, hanging out with the wrong people, etc...

When his mothers husband got out of prison he showed up at our house asking us to let him stay. The next day we filed for guardianship and custody after laying down some rules (no smoking, no drugs, no drinking, he had to stay in school, and he had to get a part time job if he stayed at the school he was in which was only 3 hours a day). We got guardianship. Now he's 18, is living with a roommate who I like alot, is a Assistant Manager at his work, has not smoked or done drugs (he agreed to do a drug test anytime we asked) and has graduated high school. We see him at least 2x a month (he lives about an hour away) usually more.

Originally we took him in because he needed a safe haven. We knew my SIL wasn't going to because he and her husband hate each other, we knew my other BIL wouldn't be good because he's still refused to grow up and take responsibility for himself. And his father hasn't been in his life since he was 5 years old. After a short time, it was we knew we were his one chance to change his life around NOW instead of trying to do it on his own, and we love him. He knows if he ever needs anything all he has to do is come to us and we'll do what we can.

For Mothers day he sent me a card saying "You may only be my SIL but when it really mattered you were the closest thing to a Mother I ever had, Thank You." I'm only 4 years older than him, but the difference that short time made in him was worth the awkwardness itnitially of telling someone basically my own age what he could and could not do, where he could and could not go, and who he could and could not see.[/b]

That is such a grat story. I would have done the same thing that you and dh did for him. That is just so loving, caring, selfless, and responsible of you and dh. I would have cried if he would have sent me that card.

We took custody of dh's kids from his ex for BAD reasons. I have always treated them like they were my own and always will. Every Mother's Day they make me 2 homemade cards and they ask dh to buy 2 cards for them to give to me. Neither one of the kids ever give their biological mom anything for any occassion. People on his ex's side has bought things for his ex to be from the kids and when she tells the kids thank you for the presents and stuff, the kids say "I dont know why you are telling us thank you because we wouldn't buy you anything because you don't act like a mom to us!" They buy me stuff all of the time even without it being a holiday. I especially love the homemade gifts because I save them so I will have them forever. The kids tell me all the time that they have never had a real mother until me. You just don't know how happy that makes me feel. Its priceless. I just thought that I would share that too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search