Do you agree with this?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
I was on another website looking up some information on adoption and came across a forum for adoption. I read one lady's post. She and her dh adopted a child at birth and they said that they will never tell the child that she is adopted. Do you think that it is right to tell a child that she is adopted? Do you think that it is bad for an adoptive family to not ever tell the child? What do you think about this issue??

November 14th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i think probably that child will find out one day and be very hurt that he/she had been lied to. i dont see what is wrong with adoption. why someone wouldnt want to tell their child. kwim?

November 14th, 2006, 08:16 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I would never advise an adoptive parent to be anything but honest with their children about adoption. Obviously, in our case, not telling our girls would be impossible given that they are Chinese and we're not, but I would tell any child, even if they were adopted as a newborn and looked just like me.

We are very open and honest about adoption in our family and my girls are proud of where they are from and how they joined our family. It is especially important for us to talk about it with Jacey, since she was almost 6 when we adopted her and remembers so much about China and her past. I don't think adoption should be hidden away as something a child should be ashamed of, instead it should be celebrated as the wonderful, positive experience that it is. Just my .02.

my photog blog / my family blog
November 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM
TotsnTwins
I couldn't imagine not telling the child. Things like that have a way of coming out and I wouldn't want my child made at me or resenting me for not telling them sooner.
November 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Saigon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I , as a birthmother, was very afraid of the adoptive parents doing this. Which was one of the reasons, (as petty as it sounds) that I chose a family that promised to tell him. (it doesn't hurt that they are bigger boned, dark hair, dark eyes and have darker complexions than the bio father and I do) The birth father and I are both very Irish. We have very fair skin, green or blue eyes and I have reddish blonde hair and he had sandy blond hair. Our son takes after us very much with the same fair skin, blond hair blue eyes. Yet I still worry that they haven't really told him....
November 16th, 2006, 06:06 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think parents mistakenly think they're "helping" by not telling...as if they think the child won't feel loved because he/she was abandoned in the first place. Adoption isn't abandonment. It's purposely putting a child into a better situation than the one he/she was previously in. To me, adoption says "love" more than birth does. Anyone can accidentally get pregnant, but you can't accidentally fill out piles of paperwork and hand-pick a child without a great deal of intent and love. If I were adopted, I'd want to know.
November 20th, 2006, 10:32 AM
tim_horton's Avatar Veteran
This is so wrong I don't even think it should be legal. Parents should be legally obligated to inform their adopted children by the time they are 18. People have a right to know who their parents are.
November 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
My sister's best friend just found out she was adopted at the age of 23!!

Her whole life her whole family knew and always kept it from her!! She felt so betrayed and went through a really rough time!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search