Where to start the adoption process

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Hi ladies!

I'll try to keep this short. My DH and myself recently loss our 1st baby together. She was born at 27 wks and didn't survive due to a handful of health issues. During our U/S at 22 wks they informed us of all of Annika's health problems(that they could detect at the time). We we're told that with the multitude of anomalies we were looking at that more than likely it was a chromosone issue(which it wasn't). They also said if by chance it wasn't an extra chromo then the chances of this happening again were extremely rare and highly unlikely with a 2nd pg. Much to their surprise, this had already happened to my DH and his first wife 8yrs ago. We would like to try again but have to wait for an autopsy report to find out if this was genetic or not.....which leads up to Adoption. As much as we'd love to have our own little "mini-me", we know all too well this might not be possible. So where do we start?

Thanks
November 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm Marla, mom of 4, including 2 daughters from China. I am so sorry for the loss of your baby girl. I can't even imagine what a difficult experience that must have been for you.

There are so many options and different types of adoptions, I guess the first question is where are you considering adopting from? If you're leaning toward domestic adoption (which is not my specialty, I might add ), I would start by contacting an attorney who specializes in adoption or maybe attend a seminar at an adoption agency in your area.

I wish you the best with whatever path leads you to parenthood. It can be a long and difficult journey, as you already know, but the end result is the ultimate blessing.

my photog blog / my family blog
January 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Regular
I am so sorry for you loss!!
January 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to kschrock
I'm sorry for your loss. I recommend the book "Adopting After Infertility" as a starting point. It also covers IVF and surrogacy. Read as many books as you can before talking with angencies or paying out any money! We adopted our son in 6 months and have a great open adoption. We send pics to his birthmom and we invite her to visit every couple of months (she lives a few hours away). The keys to fast domestic adoption is prepare (get that homestudy done quick!) write a good "birthmother letter" and have a good website! PS...my son is adopted and he's still a mini version of me! Good Luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search