adoptive nursing?

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
bcmomma's Avatar Veteran
I am considering this and was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share regarding adoptive nursing methods (ie. did you pump, use domperidone, or any others?). Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!
I'm also not sure if I should post this here or in the breasfeeding forum?

"As my memory rests/ but never forgets what I lost/ wake me up when September ends."
January 3rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't have any advice for you, but I'm also not really sure what you're asking. Are you saying that you'd like to breastfeed an infant that you plan to adopt? I know it's possible, but I've never personally known anyone who was able to do that.
January 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Veteran
I had really wanted to do this with our son but since he had medical issues and was diagnosed FTT as soon as he came home it didn't seem like the right choice for him as he really needs to intake ALOT of calories. But when I was researching I spoke with mom's who had done it and it worked great. If you want to just breastfeed and not supliment then using a drug protocol plus pumping will get your supply up. If you are doing it for bonding and then will supliment you can pump to get a smaller supply and us a lactic (sp?) aid system to put formula in but still keep the baby at the breast. I got one of them and it's a small pouch that holds the formula with a tube that you put against your nipple so it still stimulates the breast (to produce breast milk) but allows the baby to get ample feedings.
January 4th, 2007, 05:13 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice about breastfeeding (other than saying good luck, I've definitely talked to ladies who have done it successfully), I just wanted to say welcome to the forum!! I'm Marla, mom of 4, including 2 daughters from China. How far along are you in the adoption process?

my photog blog / my family blog
January 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
bcmomma's Avatar Veteran
BensMom, I've been doing some research, and it seems to be successful with a lot of women, I was surprised, too! It's amazing what our bodies will do for us. They say the stimulation of pumping alone will get things started, and that the baby nursing will help even more, but there's also a hormone/drug called Domperidone that was originally used for stomach issues, but has the "side effect" of increasing prolactin and milk supply. I was just hoping to hear "first hand" from one of the ladies here about it

beansmommy, I'm sorry you couldn't do this with your son when you wanted to, and sorry about the medical complications...how is he doing now? Yes, I've read about the "supplementers" and how you can make your own with some small tubing or they can be purchased as well. All the literature says not to set your expectations too high with adoptive nursing and that supplementation may be necessary even with medications, so I'll be prepared for that.

m_westbro, thank you for the welcome It's a really complicated situation that I'm in, and I honestly don't know when or if I will be caring for the baby...and it's a horrible feeling! I don't really know what to do right now, because I'm scared to spend all my time preparing and have it NOT happen, but on the other hand scared to not prepare and then be blessed with this little boy and not be prepared! Another reason why I was apprehensive to post in this section because I'm not going through a regular adoption process. But I appreciate any answers and support (because I'm very stressed!). He is due any day now, that's all I know for sure.

"As my memory rests/ but never forgets what I lost/ wake me up when September ends."
January 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
m_westbro, thank you for the welcome It's a really complicated situation that I'm in, and I honestly don't know when or if I will be caring for the baby...and it's a horrible feeling! I don't really know what to do right now, because I'm scared to spend all my time preparing and have it NOT happen, but on the other hand scared to not prepare and then be blessed with this little boy and not be prepared! Another reason why I was apprehensive to post in this section because I'm not going through a regular adoption process. But I appreciate any answers and support (because I'm very stressed!). He is due any day now, that's all I know for sure.[/b]
Wow, I guess if he's due any day, you'll know pretty soon, so best of luck with whatever happens. Take care and be sure to keep us posted!

my photog blog / my family blog
January 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
bcmomma's Avatar Veteran
hey, here's one of the links I found in case anyone else is curious about it

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:62QUzM...t=clnk&cd=3

January 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend did it with a pump. She pumped about 3 weeks before the triplets were born... Then she was there at birth and they latched and started eating.... It was amazing! She is still BF them

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
January 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you go this route and you need to supplement with formula at all, I strongly suggest an SNS (supplemental nursing system). There is a container of formula that you wear like a necklace and it has a tube that runs down to your breast. Then the baby gets formula while nursing and stimulating your breasts to produce more milk.

January 22nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Regular
I have heard of it and I have heard it works, good luck!
February 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
You can breastfeed an adopted baby???? (Or am I misunderstanding?) I didn't know this! Can you do it even if you have never had any birth children?? Do you have to take medications or can you get your body to produce breastmilk without medications?? Can someone share all the information with me?? Thanks!

February 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can breastfeed an adopted baby???? (Or am I misunderstanding?) Yes You CAN

I didn't know this! Can you do it even if you have never had any birth children?? Did you know that is what our bodies are made for and ALL you have to do if talk to your doctor and get the supplements and follow their advice
Do you have to take medications or can you get your body to produce breastmilk without medications?? You can pump and try
Can someone share all the information with me??Just did

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
February 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
Quote:
You can breastfeed an adopted baby???? (Or am I misunderstanding?) Yes You CAN

I didn't know this! Can you do it even if you have never had any birth children?? Did you know that is what our bodies are made for and ALL you have to do if talk to your doctor and get the supplements and follow their advice
Do you have to take medications or can you get your body to produce breastmilk without medications?? You can pump and try
Can someone share all the information with me??Just did[/b]

I am definitely giving this a try!! I am going to also discuss this with my doctor when I go for my physical. Thanks.

February 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
A friend of mine had went through the adoption process of a newborn boy. She got her milk supply up from 0 and was pumping a good amount each time (I don't remember how much, but enough to regularly feed a newborn baby). She had this baby for a week and the birth mother decided she didn't want to give the baby up. My friend was heartbroken, she was their for the birth and everything. Sorry, I got completely off track, but yes, you can start w/ 0 and have everything you need when it comes time to feed that baby! Good luck!
March 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
IndigoEyes's Avatar Regular
Here is a great resource link on adoptive nursing and relactating.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

HTH
March 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
IrishMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am considering this and was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share regarding adoptive nursing methods (ie. did you pump, use domperidone, or any others?). Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!
I'm also not sure if I should post this here or in the breasfeeding forum?

[/b]

I did breastfeed my daughter for almost 6 weeks, she would latch on and mostly pacify herself.
It is what's called, "Non-nutritive sucking"
It is GREAT for adopted children it promotes bonding, soothes them.
My sister tried pumping to prepare for when her adopted daughter was born since she didn't have any success and I was soooo stressed near the end of my adoption, I chose NNS.

There is also a device called a SNS-(supplemental nipple system), where you use formula but it comes out through something attached to your nipple, in a way it is similar to non nutritive sucking.

It was great, she stopped at like 6 weeks.
Definetely try bf though, it just didn't actually work for me, you may have great luck.
Go also to the adoption.com forum, I learned a lot there.
My older sister has been a lactation consultant for 26 years and gave me great advice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search