Canadian Adoption

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Regular
I am hoping to adopt some day, but I'm trying to figure out when I should being the process. I realize the answers to my questions are different depending on if I'm adopting from Canada or from another country, and on whether I'm hoping for a closed adoption or an open adoption. I realize the CAS will pay for adoptions through their agency of fostercare children who become adoptable, and that is certainly an idea, but how long would the wait be from beginning to end to adopt a healthy infant(newborn to age 2)? With the other adoptions, how long would they typically be, and how much is the cost for Canadians adopting?

I'm thinking the wait for a healthy baby would be shorter through an agency compared to the CAS, but I don't know if we could afford it. I know why the cost is there (court fees, adoption papers, home study, etc), but I'm wondering if there is a way to make it affordable.

I'm also wondering if an agency or the CAS would refuse us as adoptive parents, because we already have a biological child, and we do not have any fertility problems. Anyone have any insight to this?
January 14th, 2007, 01:21 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Shae and welcome to the group! I'm Marla, mom of 4, including 2 daughters from China. I can't answer any of the Canada-specific questions, but I wouldn't think the fact that you have a biological child would prevent you from being able to adopt. We had a bio son when we adopted our girls from China, and I know lots of other families who have adopted from all over (including domestically) who have bio kids, as well.

Good luck and hopefully someone else can answer the rest of your questions more specifically.

Edited to add: Your daughter is adorable!!

my photog blog / my family blog
January 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I looked into Canadian adoption before getting pregnant with my son, so I can try to answer some of your questions. You can adopt internationally or from Canada but no matter which option you choose, the first thing is to get a home study done.

For adoptions from Canada, all are open adoptions and the wait could be very long or it might never happen. Basically you are waiting for a birth mom to choose you on the basis of your home study. The fact that you already have a baby, might hurt you. Also not many babies are given up for adoption here so the wait is usually long. The cost is relatively low and you can be put on the list and wait while you also proceed with international adoption.

For international adoption, you are pretty much guaranteed to end up with a baby. The wait varies but you are likley to have a baby within a year or two. Unfortunately the costs are very high - starting at 10,000. But you can get loans to adopt. The best place to adopt from has been China (in terms of health of child, costs and time) but I heard they recently changed adoption rules there, although I don't know the specifics.

Good luck.

February 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Veteran
If you go through a gov't adoption, the wait time in NS right now is about 8 years for a healthy newborn. I'm not sure about the rest of the country. It's less time the older the child is or if there are health problems. If you do a private adoption then you will pay for it, but the time could be way shorter, maybe months. Get a home study done, and put the word out that you're looking to adopt. That would be your first step. Then talk about whether you want to do an open adoption and have contact with the birth mom or not, because that decision would affect how many doors are open to you as well.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search