Father's rights

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This girl I know is pregnant for the second time unplanned and seems to not really want to raise another baby. She is about 30 weeks along and looks so so depressed. I asked her about putting her baby up for adoption and she told me that (among pressure from her Mother to keep the baby), the baby's father wouldn't agree to put the baby up for adoption. Unless he is going to take the baby and raise it, shouldn't he have to sign over his rights? They are not married or even dating anymore, and I'm pretty sure he would NOT take the baby to raise it. Does she have any options here if she decides to adopt her baby out? Thank you all for reading. I know this is a touchy thing to ask, but I can't understand all the laws that I get (which are a LOT) when I google adoption laws in our state.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Mommy2twogirls
Well, unfortunately, there isn't much she can do.....

She CAN take him to court.... if he refuses to raise the child, the judge may terminate his rights. Other than that, there isn't much she can do. Agencies run into this problem all the time...

Drives me insane that these boys can run off, but not sign over their rights!! UGH! I was blessed to have a boyfriend that stuck by my side the entire time... and now we're married.

Tell her- if she needs anything she can contact me.. you can PM me for my email address..
February 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Birdie's Avatar Loved by Two
What state are you in? Adoption laws do vary from state to state. Some being more favorable of keeping parental rights intact others being more liberal. Utah for example is not even required to notify the father.

In Texas, where I work in adoption specifically the legal arena, a young woman can make an adoption plan without the consent of the father. We are required to notify them of a plan and they can agree and sign their documents, have their rights terminated by default if they don't respond, or fight the agency in court, not the birthmom.

Their rights can be terminated by default without them signing anything if the agency serves him with notice or runs a citation in a newspaper if he can't be found, and he does not file an answer in court by a certain point.

If he chooses to fight the adoption he would have to prove that he emotionally and financially supported the mother throughout her pregnancy. That he helped her with medical costs, provided her with safe housing, and made sure her basic needs were met. He would have to hire a lawyer, pay for DNA tests, attend several court hearings etc....

Many guys make a big stink about an adoption only to disappear anyways...we've had many birthfathers pitch a fit until we offer them the ability to participate in the open adoption with the adoptive parents. It's amazing what kindness and compassion has the ability to change...

It's a misconception that young women can't place without the father's consent. She just needs to be honest with the agency about who he is, where he is, and what he's done for her so far. Then the professional can assess the situation and tell her whether or not they believe the case is worth pursuing.

Please PM me if you want!

February 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh WOW, that is tooooo weird! I live in UTAH! I'll have to call my friend tomorrow and see how she is feeling about all this now and tell her what you told me. Thank you so so much! I will definitely be PMing you if she has any questions after I talk to her.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search