International Adoption questions

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello! I've been through here a couple times but I believe my DH and I will be looking into adoption soon. We have a 6 month old currently and plan on having more of our own but have recently been pulled in the direction of adoption as well. I've been doing a lot of research on the web and would just like to ask what should we know from those of you who have adopted internationally?

Costs of various countries...

traveling...

I've been looking into China because we've been there before and been to a couple of orphanages but it seems like each parent has to be at least 30 years old? DH will be 30 next year but I'm only 23...Hong Kong seems to be a lot more lenient...was also thinking of Vietnam? we've been there as well.

Okay sorry for babbling. I guess just hearing some of your experiences would be helpful.

Oh! and is there financial aid available for adopting internationally?

Thanks for the help.

Our newest addition, Caleb Alexander! Born September 2nd, 9 pounds and 2oz!
Big brother Ethan is now 2 years old!
January 29th, 2007, 03:22 PM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome to the group! I have 2 daughters from China, and you're right, both parents have to be 30. I'm not sure of the age requirements (or cost) for other countries, but here is the link to the agency we used and you can find information about several countries on their website: Holt Intl (I definitely recommend checking out several agencies before making a decision, I just wanted to get you to the info quick ) Our adoptions averaged about $25K each, and that included 2 weeks of travel in China. I know there are some organizations that offer small grants for adoption, and you might also check with your employer(s) to see if they offer some sort of adoption reimbursement. My dh's company reimbursed us $2000 for each of our adoptions after they were final. Then there's also the adoption tax credit to think about, it is currently over $10K and can be applied toward your tax liability in the year the adoption is final.

Best of luck with your decision to adopt, it is an amazing journey!!!

my photog blog / my family blog
February 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
My friend completed an adoption last summer to a wonderful little boy from Guatemala. He is 3 years old. She's currently in the process of adopting two more from there, a 3 month old little boy and 6 month old little girl. She was 22 when they started the first adoption and her DH was 25 I believe. They wanted China, but found out about the age restriction. I believe she said from Guat it's around $20,000-$30,000. It all depends on the agency you go through and your home study agency. The only agency here that can do international home studies charges $5000 for that alone. My DH and I plan on some day adopting from Guat as well.

made by BAM

March 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Super Mommy
My parents have adopted twice from China. (1 girl, and 1 boy) The pricing, info, etc.. was exactly as "m westbro" put it. I believe my parents got grants... and both of their jobs did reimbursements, etc.
I went to China with them the second time (to get my brother) and my DF and I have decided we would love to adopt. Atleast once from China, and probably also US, or somewhere. You can't help but want to adopt,when you see the children's faces.

I wish you luck with your decision, in any place you plan to adopt. There are children ALL over the world who need to be adopted, and don't let people tell you that you are wrong to look into other countries.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ruUTi/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a></div>
March 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Regular
DH and I have been looking into Guatemala as well. I am 24 and he is soon turning 25. Does anyone know if one or both partners have to be 25? Doesn't matter that much since by the time everything would go thru I'd be 25!

Started TTC: Jan 2006 with Endometriosis
United in Love: April 2, 2005
J: 24 and DH: 24
March 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Quote:
DH and I have been looking into Guatemala as well. I am 24 and he is soon turning 25. Does anyone know if one or both partners have to be 25? Doesn't matter that much since by the time everything would go thru I'd be 25! [/b]
This is from our agency's (Holt Intl) website:
"Couples must be over the age of 25, married for 5 years and have no more than one divorce each."

March 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Regular
I imagine that must be Holt Int. requirements. Many websites do not list a marriage length requirement at all. My husband and I have been together for 7 years and married for nearly 2 (in two weeks). We plan on researching as much as possible now and hopefully begin the process in 2008.

Started TTC: Jan 2006 with Endometriosis
United in Love: April 2, 2005
J: 24 and DH: 24
March 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Quote:
I imagine that must be Holt Int. requirements. Many websites do not list a marriage length requirement at all. My husband and I have been together for 7 years and married for nearly 2 (in two weeks). We plan on researching as much as possible now and hopefully begin the process in 2008.[/b]
I wondered about that, I thought 5 years sounded a bit high, as most countries are more like 2-3 years. Good luck starting the process, it's a long and sometimes challenging one, but the rewards far outweigh the challenges. Congrats on your upcoming anniversary, as well!

March 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
DH and I have been looking into Guatemala as well. I am 24 and he is soon turning 25. Does anyone know if one or both partners have to be 25? Doesn't matter that much since by the time everything would go thru I'd be 25! [/b]

My friend's gone through Adoption Blessings Worldwide. She was 22 when they started their first Guatemalan adoption and they had only been married 2 years. She was 23 when they got the little guy. Now they are in the process of getting 2 more (6 month girl and 2 month boy) through the same agency and Guatemala. She loves that agency and recommends it. I know when DH and I finally do adopt it will be Guatemala and it will be through ABW.

made by BAM

March 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
mcbruso's Avatar Super Mommy
I usually post in the preschool board, but was looking in here b/c at some point dh and I would like to adopt. I was speaking with a woman who has had her home study and dossier with the adoption groups in China for a year already. She said that she is being told that the earliest that they believe that she could get her baby would be September. I also believe that China has weight restrictions for parents. Neither parent can be 30% over their ideal body weight. I know of several people who have adopted from Guatemala and it is by far the easiest country to complete an adoption. In addition, if its important for a couple to adopt an infant they are more readily available. Hope this helps.

March 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Veteran
We are in the process of adopting from China as well. Our paperwork has been in China for 1 year already, but we still have a 4-5 month wait still ahead of us. The referral time frame for adoption from China at this time is around 16-17 months and it may stretch to two years.
Both parents must be 30 and have been married for 2 years (it may be more years married, but I don't think so). Your BMI cannot be over 40. You can have no history of mental problems, recent big surgeries, handicaps, etc. They are really cutting down on who can adopt. Oh, and no one over the age of 50 can adopt. So there you have it. I know you guys are a little young for China, but I wanted to let you know!

We looked into Guatemala as well, and almost adopted from there. You can get young babies and there isn't an age restriction. However, they are non-compliant with the Hague Convention and the US may stop adoptions with them by the end of the year. Hard to say if that will happen. I know they they are much more expensive than China in some aspects.

Korea - I think the youngest is 25. Taiwan is the same.
Good luck in your search.
Jennifer

March 27th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Regular
We just got back 2 weeks ago from China with our little girl. It was a much longer wait than originally thought (it was 6 months when we signed up; wait started increasing while we got our dossier together). As others have said, the requirements have gotten much stricter although the minimum age stayed the same - 30.

Paula

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search