Anyone interested in adopting from foster care???

Forum: Adoption

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Adoption LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Hi! I'm Debbie and I have 3 bio boys. My husband and I have thought about adopting one day when the boys are older (maybe I'll try to adopt a girl !!). Anyway, I am a social worker and work for the Department of Social Services in Adoptions. A lot of people do not know this, but we do adoptions from foster care for free!! We do a free training and home study and place kids in your home. Most people think it is only older children (though we have those that need homes also), but we often get babies, too. Just in my little county in MD, 7 of my previous moms (that we terminated parental rights on) have had new babies in the last 4 months and all of those babies were placed and have a good shot at being adopted very young since the mothers have already lost kids. Also, with foster care, you get a monthly stipend (in Maryland it is over $600 per month). Also, after the adoption, we offer subsidies (you heard right) which are almost as much per month. This is because the children may have special needs (because we may not know their background or mom was an addict and we are not sure about whether she used during pregnancy). However, most of these children are healthy and may just be a little delayed because they were born early (because of mom's health or drug use). They usually catch up and become great kids that just needed homes. Just something to think about. Just wanted to say you don't have to be rich to adopt. For some reason I feel God called me to write this. Maybe someone needs to read it. I usually stick to the Frugal Mommies board and the Working Mommies board, but decided to branch out today.
February 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Debbie and welcome!! Thank you so much for posting this great info, as we have had questions about adopting from foster care in the past. Our neighbors are fostering a precious baby boy that they hope to adopt, and so far it is going very well for them.

Thanks for dropping in, please come back again soon!! Oh, and you definitely need a little girl to go with all those boys!!

my photog blog / my family blog
February 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! My name is Ivy and just last week we finalized the adoption of our three precious babies from foster care! It is a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it. It's stressful, lots of worry....so it's just like parenthood. We had a great social worker which made it all the better for us and the kiddos. They are so excited to be out of the system and into a family.

I say, go for it!
March 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Regular
Thanks for writing this. I've been searching the web for information on it. I know someone who recently adopted thru foster care here in Hawaii. They now have an absolutely beautiful little girl of their own.

Hubby and I talk about this. It something I think we may talk about for months/years before we decide on it. But I love to get all the information I can in the mean time!

Started TTC: Jan 2006 with Endometriosis
United in Love: April 2, 2005
J: 24 and DH: 24
March 21st, 2007, 04:39 PM
sprouthead's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sprouthead Send a message via MSN to sprouthead
Who do you contact if you're interested in adopting from foster care? Do you contact DSS in your state directly? Can you adopt through DSS from other states? ex- I live in NH, can I adopt through the MA DSS?

Thanks!
April 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
christianolivia's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to christianolivia
I'm not very familiar with the process of adoption, but I just wanted to let anyone that's interested know that a good place to start looking is adoption.org they even have a photolisting where you can see pics of kids and read a little bit about them. I sometimes spend hours on that site lol. (I'd like to adopt).

April 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Doshriad's Avatar Member
Quote:
Hi! I'm Debbie and I have 3 bio boys. My husband and I have thought about adopting one day when the boys are older (maybe I'll try to adopt a girl !!). Anyway, I am a social worker and work for the Department of Social Services in Adoptions. A lot of people do not know this, but we do adoptions from foster care for free!! We do a free training and home study and place kids in your home. Most people think it is only older children (though we have those that need homes also), but we often get babies, too. Just in my little county in MD, 7 of my previous moms (that we terminated parental rights on) have had new babies in the last 4 months and all of those babies were placed and have a good shot at being adopted very young since the mothers have already lost kids. Also, with foster care, you get a monthly stipend (in Maryland it is over $600 per month). Also, after the adoption, we offer subsidies (you heard right) which are almost as much per month. This is because the children may have special needs (because we may not know their background or mom was an addict and we are not sure about whether she used during pregnancy). However, most of these children are healthy and may just be a little delayed because they were born early (because of mom's health or drug use). They usually catch up and become great kids that just needed homes. Just something to think about. Just wanted to say you don't have to be rich to adopt. For some reason I feel God called me to write this. Maybe someone needs to read it. I usually stick to the Frugal Mommies board and the Working Mommies board, but decided to branch out today.[/b]
We have been trying to finalize an adoption through CPS for 2 years now. We are doing a Kinship adoption and rights were terminated only 1 month after placement....now we are STILL waiting for CPS to get their act together to get this final and move on with our lives. Its highly frustrating, and while I would NEVER give my child up for the world, I would suggest foster/adopting (or Legal Risk Adopting) through an Agency that partners with CPS or has a Contract with them. Agencies have more services to offer and from what I understand they are better able to mediate and make sure CPS gets their stuff together to get things done.
Im not blaming you, please dont take it that way, I just want others to know. Sounds like you have a better system up there than we do down here in Texas!
is how love really works.

-- Author:unknown
</span>
April 5th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Doshriad's Avatar Member
Quote:
Who do you contact if you're interested in adopting from foster care? Do you contact DSS in your state directly? Can you adopt through DSS from other states? ex- I live in NH, can I adopt through the MA DSS?

Thanks![/b]
Please see other post I made in this thread. But to answer your question:

Contact your local (there should be one in your city or a nearby city) Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) they will be able to hook you up with information on fostering children. Generally if you are fostering to adopt they will only place children with you that are Legal Risk (at risk for termination of parental rights) these children about 15% of the time will be returned for reunification with their original family, but the other 85% they reach TPR and become available for adoption.
You will need to take a PRIDE training class (it may be called something else in your city/state) which goes over parenting techniques and how to handle issue that your children placed with you might come with. If you ALREADY have a child, then you can generally choose what sex child you are willing to adopt. If not, then you dont get a choice. You can also let them know about what age group, ethnicity, and histories you are willing to accept (all children in the system have suffered some form of abuse, neglect etc). Then they will do multiple background checks and a homestudy where they will ask to see the room you plan on keeping the child and see all the baby-proofing etc. Here in Texas it takes about 6 months+ to get certified and be able to bring children in.
Hope that answers your question Plus some!

Quote:
Hi there! My name is Ivy and just last week we finalized the adoption of our three precious babies from foster care! It is a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it. It's stressful, lots of worry....so it's just like parenthood. We had a great social worker which made it all the better for us and the kiddos. They are so excited to be out of the system and into a family.

I say, go for it![/b]

I am so happy for you MAMA!!! Congrats on Finalization!!! I wish I could be in your boat right now! Our Social Workers dont want to do their job in a timely manner and therefore we have been sitting with our little girl for 2 years now waiting to finish this and move on! TPR happened just under 2 years ago and we are STILL waiting! I am so ready to get this done and to have the visits stop!
So tell me, what goes on at finalization?
is how love really works.

-- Author:unknown
</span>
April 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Maybe your state is different, but if TPR (termination of parental rights) happened, then usually visits do stop and finalization happens shortly. It sounds as if they are in foster care, but TPR has not happened. To answer questions, if you want to adopt from foster care, contact your local department of social services. You will have to go through Pride training (or foster parent classes) and have a home study done. In Maryland, you can absolutely decide if you want a girl or boy (even if you have other children) and you can adopt from other states (adoptuskids is a great site!). If you chose to foster first, then you may have kids get reunified with their parents, but you can also get to know kids before you are faced with the question of whether or not to adopt them. You also have more of a chance at getting a baby or small child (at least where I am, foster parents usually decide to adopt the cute little ones and they never get posted on a website in search of a family). I am sorry to anyone who has had a bad experience. That does not make the social work profession look very good!!!! I do think that there are good social workers out there, though!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search